Kimber Solo...I think I'm done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gun was designed by Kimber not to be a general run of the mill "mini" gun. The Solo feels better, is smaller and lighter and is more accurate than any other gun even close to its size but the trade off to make a precision gun like that is running specific typu,es of oammo. They explain that in the owners manual as well as their advertisement for the gun. So, yes, they are perfectly reliable. They fill a specific niche in the market for higher end guns. It just depends, as a consumer, what you want but if you want the performance the Solo is capable of you have to play by the rules. I've shot her Solo quite a bit and it's by far the best "mini" handgun I've ever shot and I'd happily feed it high octane ammo to get that kind of performance, you judge everything by the same standards.
Complete horse ****

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Dad had one that jammed pretty bad. I polished the feed ramp cleaned it and shot it with ZERO malfunctions until my hand was bruised trying my best to make it fail. He sold it anyway due to lack of confidence which is super important in a CCW so I can’t fault a person one bit for that.

I did the same thing after having issues with a Unertl 1911. For 2K the damn thing should have run 100%

Retops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Solo CDP and have used it for several months. I fired several boxes of JHP ammo through it (PDX, Gold Dots, and others) with no problems to break it in. Later, just for yucks, I shot a box of Winchester White Box and it fed just fine. Given the clear instructions that came with the gun, I only use it with top quality ammo and so far, so good. Obviously others have not been so lucky, but I like this one.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Springfield EMP's look better (I don't like the external extractor on the Kimber). But to be honest, I treat all my firearms as tools. Some of them are ugly, like the LCR, but they get the job done. I've never looked at my glock and say, "damn that's pretty". But it does go bang every time and I would trust my life with it.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I'd rather be alive with an ugly pistol in my hand then dead with a pretty paperweight.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot her Solo quite a bit and it's by far the best "mini" handgun I've ever shot and I'd happily feed it high octane ammo to get that kind of performance, you judge everything by the same standards.
I don't know what you mean by "you judge everything by the same standards," but a "mini" gun is, by definition, a defensive firearm. I expect a defensive firearm to go bang every time I pull the trigger, regardless of whose name is on the cartridge box. If it doesn't, it is not reliable, and is unsuitable for its intended purpose.

If we're talking a race gun, or a target rifle, I can understand an ammo requirement (it goes with the territory), but a defensive pistol should not have any difficulties operating with any kind of ammo that meets spec for its caliber. But that's just MHO; you're certainly free to disagree with me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom