Kimber Solo...I think I'm done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the simple lines. Remind me of the classic straight cut lines of the pre-muscle car era muscle cars. Like the 65 GTO. Clean cut straight body lines. Mid 60's Ford Glalaxy.... All the good looking bodies before detroit went all swept body lines and flared fenders. I love me some glock.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I think the Springfield EMP's look better (I don't like the external extractor on the Kimber). But to be honest, I treat all my firearms as tools. Some of them are ugly, like the LCR, but they get the job done. I've never looked at my glock and say, "damn that's pretty". But it does go bang every time and I would trust my life with it.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I'd rather be alive with an ugly pistol in my hand then dead with a pretty paperweight.

+1

This is what separates the wheat from the chaff as they say.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Kimber Pro series yesterday, and the lgs owner said the Kimbers need several 100 rounds thru them before thy smooth out. I shot a 10 yo ultra carry he had on his belt and a rental pro series and they were both smoother than the one I took home.

He'd sai the tolerances on the Kimbers were very right and they would loosen as it was shot. It sounds a little like a sales pitch to sell pistols & ammo, but it made sense to me.

TIFWIW.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SIG P239, SIG P225, I don't care for their "micro-guns", this also includes all other manufacture. You can only go so small before you have dimisioning returns to the gun and to the shooter. If I feel the need to carry a small gun, I grab one of my S&W J-frames along with two speedloaders and a speed strip. At least J-frames work.

I pretty much agree with this; except I don't care for speedloaders. I'll take a J frame over a micro nine any day.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kimber is marketing. Buy a small 1911 from anyone else reputable and see if you like it. My recomendation? STI.

Springfield EMP gets some nice reviews too.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who owns a Solo who believes it is reliable enough to be trusted? The Kimber Solo is #1 on my all time list of pistols I wanted to love but can not. I have owned three, none would run consistently even with recommended ammo. All three were sent to Kimber to be "fixed". The one I own now was made in April of 13 and has been better than the other two but still would only function perfectly with hot FMJ ammo like 124gr NATO. I Just got it back from Kimber with a invoice that said they "polished the barrel" and "adjusted the extractor". It also said they test fired it with 2 different HP rounds, a total of 5 magazines without a malfunction. If I don't get through a couple boxes of ammo without a failure I'm done!

They sure hijacked your thread. I had one Solo and it ran fine. It was so good, in fact, the guy I bought it from bought it back from me. I'd own another...

Latest posts

Top Bottom