Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You mean, for field gutting, or for skinning/buthering? Either way, just a variety of my sharp pocket knives work fine for field gutting - both actually (mostly Kershaw speedsafe models - Leek, SpecBump, Avalanche, Needs Work, Oso Sweet, etc.). Though it's not necessary, it doesn't hurt to have a gut hook knife for this - I've used a Gerber and an Outdoor Edge for this at times (Sidebar: It would appear to me from observing that Outdoor Edge has now allowed Olin to slap the Winchester brand onto their knives, which is really a step up from most 'Winchester' knife products, as the Outdoor Edge knives are pretty darned serviceable for the money).

But for the latter, I also have a few fixed blades that supplement the folders - like the KOA Muskrat for skinning and variety of small fixed blades for butchering - plus a hatchet. The Muskrat is the shiznit for skinning (aside from the pickup truck/rope/tennis ball method). I actually like my SigTac Pit Bull neck knife for skinning & butchering too, as well as for cleaning trout, birds, etc. I've also been known to use large fixed blades like the SOG Seal Pup, Benchmade 140 Nimraven, and some customs. I like to mix it up. But starting sharp and staying sharp is more important than style/design/brand of the knife.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no shortage of hunting knives so I'm usually carrying something different all the time. I guess the one constant would be a Browning skinning knife and a Lakota Finwing caping knife. My Lakota seems to hold the best edge of all my knives.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry 1 brand and 1 brand only, McCroskey Custom. Dave and his brother hand make these to your exact specs (hand width, finger length, fav colors on the handles, initials on the sheath) in Stillwater. They Rockwell out at 63-65. I dare you to find a better knife. I completely gutted, skinned, quartered and de-boned 3 elk last year and it was still sharp enough for deer season without a worry. Look up McCroskey Knives on the web. His web pictures don't do them justice. To really understand, run to Stillwater and take a look, you will certainy not be disappointed.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry 1 brand and 1 brand only, McCroskey Custom. Dave and his brother hand make these to your exact specs (hand width, finger length, fav colors on the handles, initials on the sheath) in Stillwater. They Rockwell out at 63-65. I dare you to find a better knife. I completely gutted, skinned, quartered and de-boned 3 elk last year and it was still sharp enough for deer season without a worry. Look up McCroskey Knives on the web. His web pictures don't do them justice. To really understand, run to Stillwater and take a look, you will certainy not be disappointed.

My dad got one of these a few years ago. It is amazingly sharp. It almost scares him (in fact it does). But it is made for his hand and it is a really nice knife.

I normally use a series of knives mostly Gerber for gutting and skinning. I have 3 different sizes that I use.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few knives, but my favorite skinning knife is about the cheapest, crappiest, pawn shop knife there is. Whatever I am using, it MUST have a gut hook on it. Gut hook on my cheapo knife works best off all. I guess the angle or shape is different than one of my Gerber knives... Gerber guthook does not work worth a flip. Could be the operator too...

Latest posts

Top Bottom