1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Knock sensors, UGH!

Discussion in 'Gearheads' started by dlbleak, Jan 16, 2021.

1. dlbleak

dlbleak Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Check out the second pic in my original post. The sensors are under those two circular caps. They don’t fit tightly, in fact they just sit in/on the holes. The moisture and dust just build up in the back one. I silicone them in when I do the sensors.

2. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    upload_2021-1-16_21-4-1.png
    You mean these?

3. dlbleak

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  4. OkdRooster

OkdRooster Marksman

Rating
    100%
    The knock sensors are a piezo electric device that as detonation occurs in the engine produce an ac signal that rides on the 5volt reference signal. The pcm uses this signal along with other sensor data to control engine timing.

Moving or reengineering the location is not a good idea.

5. mouthpiece

mouthpiece Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    98.8%
    I also Suggest NOT BUYING from amazon unless your mechanic has experience with the sellers product.
    One of my boys and I tore the top end off his car to replace the 2 knock sensors since the diagnosis was knock sensors and O2. Replaced everything and got it back together and still no good

After racking our brains and gutting the catalytic converter because of being plugged we still couldn't get it to run. Took it to my mechanic buddy who said "O2 sensors" AGAIN.
    He pops the top of the engine off again and checks them and they are not communicating with the computer of the car. **** knock sensors from amazon.
    2 more O2 sensors from a know good supplier or OEM. AND A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS MORE.
    At this point the car already had new spark plugs, coil packs, and several other things

sedona likes this.
  6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    @SPDgins, I’m the proud owner of a new 2020 F-250 with the 7.3 liter Godzilla engine.
    Gobs of HP at 430 but I keep reading that with a simple tune that HP and Torque rating can be significantly improved.
    Your buddy tune Ford products?

7. SPDguns

SPDguns Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That is correct, a tune can make those engines SCREAM. I'm pretty sure he doesn't do Fords, I'l PM you his name and phone number. If he doesn't do them, maybe he can recommend someone for you. Let us know how it turns out!

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. zipty6

zipty6 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I can see the oil pressure sending unit that I replaced on my 03 a few weekends ago. It looks a lot easier to reach in your first picture than is was on mine.

9. dlbleak

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yes indeed, I did the switch too. Should have mentioned it earlier. If you go in there for either job, just do both. It could save a headache later.

zipty6 likes this.