Knock sensors, UGH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What do you mean sealed the caps up? What caps?
Check out the second pic in my original post. The sensors are under those two circular caps. They don’t fit tightly, in fact they just sit in/on the holes. The moisture and dust just build up in the back one. I silicone them in when I do the sensors.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
upload_2021-1-16_21-4-1.png

You mean these?

OkdRooster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if it has to be in contact or not. The sensors are threaded into the top of the motor but the shaft is solid. No wiring or port into the motor. The wires that come off of them got to a connector on the back of the intake. I ‘guess’ it gets the info from the intake?

The knock sensors are a piezo electric device that as detonation occurs in the engine produce an ac signal that rides on the 5volt reference signal. The pcm uses this signal along with other sensor data to control engine timing.

Moving or reengineering the location is not a good idea.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also Suggest NOT BUYING from amazon unless your mechanic has experience with the sellers product.
One of my boys and I tore the top end off his car to replace the 2 knock sensors since the diagnosis was knock sensors and O2. Replaced everything and got it back together and still no good

After racking our brains and gutting the catalytic converter because of being plugged we still couldn't get it to run. Took it to my mechanic buddy who said "O2 sensors" AGAIN.
He pops the top of the engine off again and checks them and they are not communicating with the computer of the car. **** knock sensors from amazon.
2 more O2 sensors from a know good supplier or OEM. AND A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS MORE.
At this point the car already had new spark plugs, coil packs, and several other things

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ADVICE ALERT!!!!
A buddy of mine re-programs GM computers and he's GOOD. You can find him on FaceBook under Street Car Garage. He reflashed all of our police Tahoe's and he did my truck. He can disable the DoD/AFM which will extend engine life and he does custom tunes. He also has a chassis dyno. If anyone wants his contact info, PM me. He's located just east of Stillwater.

@SPDgins, I’m the proud owner of a new 2020 F-250 with the 7.3 liter Godzilla engine.
Gobs of HP at 430 but I keep reading that with a simple tune that HP and Torque rating can be significantly improved.
Your buddy tune Ford products?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct, a tune can make those engines SCREAM. I'm pretty sure he doesn't do Fords, I'l PM you his name and phone number. If he doesn't do them, maybe he can recommend someone for you. Let us know how it turns out!

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see the oil pressure sending unit that I replaced on my 03 a few weekends ago. It looks a lot easier to reach in your first picture than is was on mine.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I can see the oil pressure sending unit that I replaced on my 03 a few weekends ago. It looks a lot easier to reach in your first picture than is was on mine.
Yes indeed, I did the switch too. Should have mentioned it earlier. If you go in there for either job, just do both. It could save a headache later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom