Know your bees......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Flippin' red wasps are BAD this year. We have them in the wellhouse and every time I get close to them, they come straight at me. I tried drenching them with a water hose yesterday, but one of the winged buttnuggets made it through the stream and chased me across the yard.
Gas works more effectively

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do ya get a colony of Purple Martins?

Here's a bit of information on Purple Martins. The site also has some links at the bottom referring to "gourd" houses and others.

Attracting Purple Martins

That said, I've never put up a Purple Martin house, so you might want to also ask around at places that deal with "birders." Wild Birds Unlimited and some feed places might be sources to check, especially if there are differences in houses and such based on locations.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Here's a bit of information on Purple Martins. The site also has some links at the bottom referring to "gourd" houses and others.

Attracting Purple Martins

That said, I've never put up a Purple Martin house, so you might want to also ask around at places that deal with "birders." Wild Birds Unlimited and some feed places might be sources to check, especially if there are differences in houses and such based on locations.
A gourd rack placed in the open at least 50' from any trees or tall structures (this is crucial for success) and a nearby pond also helps. Once they find it, they are there to stay. I raised Martins for 11 years. Very people friendly birds and pretty to listen to. Plus they are like watching little dive bombers.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You will want something that's easy to lower down as you have to do some occational housekeeping inside the house. My gourd rack had a rope pully system on it to raise and lower it. Of course I had already been through the cheap route and the new rack cost $400
It's too late this year to get any martins, They migrate north in March, nest, mate, raise the young and leave usually by July or aug. Depends on the weather patterns and how soon they can lay. A cold march and April like we had would delay them so they will be here this year up into Aug.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will want something that's easy to lower down as you have to do some occational housekeeping inside the house. My gourd rack had a rope pully system on it to raise and lower it. Of course I had already been through the cheap route and the new rack cost $400
Yeah, I've read quite a bit about 'em in the last hour or so. From what I understand, they need to be cleaned at least once per year in the fall.

I plan to hang it with a nylon rope (probably from a couple tree limbs w/pulley system) so I can lower and raise it without much effort. If the gourds work ok hanging, I don't see why a house can't as well.

Thanks. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom