Know your bees......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also this house offers no protection from owls. Owls will actually reach right in at night and grab them. Also need to address snakes climbing the pole. Yes, they can and will climb the pole. Snakes can smell them eggs a mile off.
Well, I'm kinda like the pig in a ham & egg breakfast. I'm committed to this house. :D

As mentioned in my previous post, I don't plan to use a pole.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read quite a bit about 'em in the last hour or so. From what I understand, they need to be cleaned at least once per year in the fall.

I plan to hang it with a nylon rope (probably from a couple tree limbs w/pulley system) so I can lower and raise it without much effort. If the gourds work ok hanging, I don't see why a house can't as well.

Thanks. :drunk2:
A house hanging from a tree will only fill up with house sparrows.
It MUST be 50' away from anything taller than it. It has to be cleaned out once after they fledge and periodically you will want to lower it while the hatchlings are growing (these birds don't care at all if you do that) as you will find a dead bird once in a while or an egg that didn't hatch. Trust me, interaction with these birds will become weekly.
And if it's hanging, it will swing way too much.
This learning curve is long, keep reading lol, but take what I've given you and save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would a house swing anymore than the gourds that seem so popular?

Btw, I've already got a martin(s) roosting around the porch and carport and pooping everywhere. So they can't be that picky. :D

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Why would a house swing anymore than the gourds that seem so popular?
The gourds dont swing much at all

Btw, I've already got a martin(s) roosting around the porch and carport and pooping everywhere. So they can't be that picky. Those would be mud swallows? :D
I'm telling ya, if the house is within 50 feet of tree or tall structure (or hanging from one), they will not use it. And they wont roost on your house. They cant build a nest so they depend on people to put up houses for them. I don't know what they use otherwise but they do not build a nest.
I aint gonna argue about it, you'll figure it out fine.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had the mud swallows, and I'm pretty sure this ain't them (the heads on these are huge compared to the swallows). They're roosting on a wire from the house to the carport, and on a small rope between two porch posts.

And you may be right, this could be a lesson in futility. If so, it won't be my first. :drunk2:

EDIT: FWIW, if this doesn't work, I can always put it on a pole. I don't have 100 ft of clear space in two directions though.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A gourd rack placed in the open at least 50' from any trees or tall structures (this is crucial for success) and a nearby pond also helps. Once they find it, they are there to stay. I raised Martins for 11 years. Very people friendly birds and pretty to listen to. Plus they are like watching little dive bombers.
Love them. We have friends with the gourds and houses. We just don't have the 50' clearance from trees. Put one up a few years back in the hope the 50' rule was BS, but its not. The only thing we raised was sparrows. Kept the nests cleaned out per instructions, etc, and after three seasons, gave it up.

Edit: Their gourds are not real gourds, and don't swing in the wind. They are rigid on the pole.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit: Their gourds are not real gourds, and don't swing in the wind. They are rigid on the pole.
Yeah, I was talking about the plastic gourds. But they still show pics (with martins) of them hanging from a line.

Moot point anyway, I just sent an email canceling the order.

The two trees I had in mind are probably too far apart for a nylon rope, and with the lightning strikes we get here (Hackberry in the front yard and Oak in the back both have scars), I don't really want to put up any more lightning rods (i.e steel cable or a metal pole).

Not to mention I don't need any more projects. :/

Thanks for the info guys. Apologies if I ruffled any feathers... :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom