KRAV MAGA - Free Intro to ICCS Krav Maga Clinic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trained under Jason Epps here in Edmond. First off there is a big difference between martial arts and combative martial arts. It's all in the manner it is taught. Are you being trained to win a tournament or are you being trained to escape a situation as fast as possible while taking the minimum damage needed? I haven't been to Oklahoma Combative. However, under Jason Epps, we trained in muay tai, BJJ, judo, karate and so on. In addition to those, we did train in krav maga. I think it is the most relevant training to real world events. We trained to engage multiple attackers at once, firearms defense, knife assaults and a variety of different weapons. It was intense. While I will agree that it takes practice to become "great" at it, it doesn't take alot to become very good at it. Krav is simple if you work hard at understanding it an can become second nature in a hurry. I will also disagree with the 9 times out of 10 the larger stronger man wins the fight. I am 175lbs and about 5'9", not big by any means. Constantly in class I was paired with guys 250lbs, some fat and some muscular as hell. I will happily take on the bigger attacker every time. The mistake all of them made was "I'm was bigger than this guy, I'll over power him". It didn't work out like that. Most of them did not fair well. When someone is properly trained and is confident in their abilities it gives you the edge over someone who just feels dominant. I've seen the smallest of women in class take out the biggest of men. If you're learning and training properly, you'll figure out it's not about how big or how strong you are. I know these classes were the MMA variety, but there were no punches pulled. You went into a combative situation. I would highly recommend Krav Maga to anyone.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love yall's enthusiasm - I just don't think that your anecdotal evidence stacks up against the slew of weight classes in:
Amature and Professional Boxing
All types of wrestling
Kickboxing
Judo
Full contact Karate
Taekwondo
not to mention 20+ MMA organizations*

* yes it was fun to watch early UFCs with no weight classes - but there were also so MANY unnecessary injuries.

Don't get me wrong - experience, training and talent will make up and overcome any obstacles, but surely you can't say with a straight face that weight and strength is somehow a disadvantage.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can, strength and weight is a disadvantage when you don't know how to use them or when someone else knows how to use it against you.

Exactly!
One major factor Mo is forgetting. The one major factor in why I'd pick the bigger guy to fight.
Speed!!!
You can't beat someone you can't touch.

Yes, size and strength is nice to have. But it's in no way the end all beat all.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son started taking Krav training about two years ago in Texas. It started as an adjunct to his physical training but when he got into it, he found that it was a challenge he liked. After two years, he has surpassed the training level that the FBI trains to. On two different occasions he put his training to use to save himself from attacks. One was an attempted mugging while he was on a jogging trail, that assailant outweighed him by about 50 pounds and was half his age. His training kicked in as he was attacked and he put the gun on the ground. When he got back up to continue the attack, he put him down again with some injuries. The guy then got up and ran away, and my Son filed a police report on the incident. Turns out this guy had already mugged folks on the trail, and based on his quick report and description, they caught the guy. He turned out to be 19 years old and had a broken arm when they caught him. The complaint my son filed was instrumental in they guy accepting a plea and going to jail. The other was an attempt to mug or rob him in a convenience store. t was all caught on the surveillance video, and the investigating officer was amazed at his reaction to the attack. He just caught the attack in his peripheral vision and reacted with his training. He put the guy on the floor and the guy then ran off. Again the police were able to track him down due to the surveillance video getting his tag info. He told me that had he been armed during the attack on the jogging trail he would have shot the guy. He was glad he didn't go through that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom