Ladder stand installation tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never been in a tree stand before, but plan to install two next week. I’ll have two boys and a convertible ladder I think maxes at 17’. Will read the manuals, watch YouTube videos and such. Will put a double stand on a big old oak tree the prior owners used, and placement of a one-man stand is TBD. Will search OSA for tips (recall some from Dennis and RM).

The stands came with harnesses and I have climbing and haul-up ropes on order.

Other than take it slow and be careful, any other words of wisdom?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I always put an extra ratcheting strap on the top. I just go to harbor freight and buy a package of the orange ratchet straps every other year and replace all 3 or 4 on the stand.
Exactly! Two is one and one is none. I ALWAYS double up on straps in the main seating area and add straps to the ladder brace as well.

Another thing I do is drive a T-post or two against the bottom of the ladder and wire the ladder to it. Keeps the ladder more stable and doesn’t let the ladder sink into the ground or pull out and loosen up as the tree sways in the wind.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The stands usually come with a safety harness. They are struggle for me to get them on correctly so I bought a decent one that I get adjusted to ME so then its just a matter of snapping it on. I highly recommend one. I've known 2 people that got seriously injured falling from a tree stand. I have 5 stands with a safety rope attached to each with a carabiner attached with a prusik knot. Snap the harness to it and you are good to go. I usually try to learn from other's mistakes.

1719171539431.png

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Putting up a two man stand may go easier with some help. They are unwieldy when they're up in the air.
I agree with putting something under the feet to keep the legs from sinking into the ground.
If you climb the stand before it is strapped to the tree, they may tend to roll around the tree - depending on whether there are branches in the way of course. Climbing a stand before it is strapped down is an uncomfortable feeling. Like Okie said, use another ladder to tie down the stand.
A powered saw may be helpful to have along.
Make sure nothing is poking you in the back or your head. It won't be something you can just "live with" later. Also, a seat that tilts you forward (not level) will be painful after a few hours.
Ask yourself if your setup will be comfortable and make sure it is. I always spend some time critiquing the tree I think I'm gonna use. What branches am I gonna have to cut off. What all is gonna be in the way. Which way will I be facing and what direction will I probably be shooting (left or right handed too).
I've put up more than one stand and was unhappy with something on opening day.
If you're gonna put up multiple stands, consider who might be down range from who.

Latest posts

Top Bottom