Large Primers vs Magnum Primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, 3 hours is quite a trip. Which direction from me.
I do plan on going to Piedmont either this weekend or next weekend, & I'll be going to Gotebo for rifle deer hunting season

I'm down near the Lawton area. I don't think it would pan out, I thought the local gun store had some small pistol primers that I could buy and trade ya, but I think they were actually small rifle primers =(. I'll go back by there sometime to be sure though. So far Ive just been using the large magnum primers that I found.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use magnum primers in my .223 and have less group size change with those when the temps change.
I shoot at 10 degrees to 100+ and non magnum primers in my .223 can't keep tight groups.

Look at that aspect if you do get some non magnum primers to test.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im wondering if I can use some Winchester magnum primers instead of regular large rifle primers for reloading my 308? I did a google search and got mixed results, some people say its ok and to use a little less powder and some say not to use them. Im asking because I cant find any large rifle primers right now, but I have found some Winchester magnum primers. Have any of you guys used the magnums over the regular?
What others suggested back off then slowly increase and watch for pressure signs. If you had a specific load already for your .308 a chronograph could be used to help duplicate. I had same issue during Sandy Hook, found large pistol magnum and no large pistol. Had a specific load that worked well in my Glock 30S and SA XDS 45acp. Used a chronograph to duplicate load. What I found was in a 45acp with HP38 powder(will vary with powder used) the magnum primer equaled 4 tenths of a grain. So reducing powder 4 tenths gave me the same velocity and I retained the accuracy of my pet load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom