Lawnmower engine cuts out after about 30 minutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
24hp Kohler engine. Starts and runs great when cool. After about 20-30 minutes of mowing it'll start dieing and sputtering. I'm guessing weak coils when they get hot.

I haven't checked for spark because the plugs are hard to get to and the engine is too hot to mess with. I haven't seen if I can get my inline spark tester to fit. Plug wire is pretty short.
Maybe I can get the wife to mow a little more tomorrow.
What are your thoughts?

eich

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just went through this with my Ferris, bad coil pack. Replaced both while in there, all good.
When it starts to run like crap unplug one lead, if it dies thats the bad side. If it continues to run that side is good. They will continue to run with only one, it just runs like it running outa gas.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just went through this with my Ferris, bad coil pack. Replaced both while in there, all good.
When it starts to run like crap unplug one lead, if it dies thats the bad side. If it continues to run that side is good. They will continue to run with only one, it just runs like it running outa gas.
Yep it acts like it's running out of gas.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a craftsman that used to do that and the service center couldn't figure it out. What I found was it would run fine with the hood off. Took they hood off and it's run fine for years.
Looks strange though.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a craftsman that used to do that and the service center couldn't figure it out. What I found was it would run fine with the hood off. Took they hood off and it's run fine for years.
Looks strange though.
I took the hood off yesterday and it didn't run long today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom