Nobody is buying s**t these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I come and go here depending on where and what is going on in my life. I have been a member since ? 05-06 maybe. The feel of the forum and classifieds has changed through the years. At one point you could pick up nice used firearms, classics and military surplus, not to mention good deals on ammo and other accessories. Then manufacturers started pumping out new versions of plastic pistols and the AR became affordable which wasn’t a bad thing since we were getting a lot of rifle for the money. The days of grabbing one of the many listed revolvers went the way of the do-do bird when younger enthusiasts , or anyone in general, found wheel guns are fun, collectible, and they hold their value so much better than a (insert favorite or hated plastic pistol).

As to haggling I used to love it but these days not as much, partly due to all the low balling and not ac reasonable offer. I get it, a person wants the most for the least but not everyone seeking a gun is in dire need of the funds, and if they are it is generally priced accordingly. I guess it falls down to the fact in the earlier days of OSA it was more of a community feel with us having swap meets, shoots, and so forth. The owners of the site were also more involved and not just asking for B money and giving a free sticker. In the last several years the “social justice” movement and Covid mishaps brought in many new members into the community, and good or bad it’s almost like a work environment where people seem to stick with those they know.

I also agree that the Armslist, FB, and other avenues helped change the world of firearms sales as much for the individual as the internet did for brick and mortar stores, e have seen what that has done to other markets and industries too. One thing we all have to remember is that this is a free country and nothing says we have to buy or sale, it’s at the discretion of those who are interested in making a deal, or not. It does feel good to complain about it because it means we can still remember the “good times”. The old rule of “ treat others as you would like to be treated-respectfully” applies to everything in life so just use that rule when dealing with others be it in comments, offers, and replies.
Yes prices are high however we continue to keep the same idiots in office since the 70s. What do you expect? Look at the price of a used and new vehicles? They are literally junk. Besides most ppl on here I think are older? Thats another reason why prices are high. All the young guys Iv done biz with on this site are actually willing to negotiate but it goes Both ways. The older guys not so much. You mentioned swap meets? There’s a lot of deals to be had at the dog trade in sulphur.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this on another board, in answer to the same question:
"I have seen this question, also, on other gun forums.
For my self, there is a reason, but it seems to apply to others, too.
Not simply price. Certainly price, but also, peoples useable money.
Also, that lack of useable money, has people looking at what a certain gun is really worth.
For example, for me, is the price of AMT pistols.
The people selling them have bumped their damn heads. Scarcity doesn't exactly equate to rarity. They are scarce because, for the most part, they were junk when new.
They are Just NOT Worth what people are asking, and buyers don't have the extra money to just say screw it.
Or to quote that idiot James Carville, "It's the economy....""

Joe
There's a long slide AMT Hardballer with the box at a pawn shop in Norman for 2 grand!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
None of us are in the hobby for profit so it's usually the price you see is the price you pay. Maybe a touch of wiggle room, but nothing like an auction.

I wouldn't say none of "us." There are some out there. Rather, not necessarily paying the bills, but looking for deals to make money off of. Some people used to call them "neckbeards" during the ammo scares. There are enough of them now that the sense of community trading has gone by the wayside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom