Tips to save a dollar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnkirk462

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can make chopped BBQ or enchiladas out of any bird or critter.
Learn to wipe your butt with minimal TP.
I see a lot of waste there and it adds up.

I have friends borrow money from me often but pay back with interest.
Nice amount of chump change 10% payback or more.

Walmart cell phone plan is under 27 a month for my wife's cell.
I see some people paying 80+ for a plan that does the same thing.

Believe it or not Synthetic engine oil will get you better MPG and basically pay for itself.

Air those car tires up as that gets better MPG also.
But you need to air them up where they wear evenly.

The tire store will always put 32-35 psi in my corolla tires that call for a max of 44-51 psi and MPG takes a hit to the tune of 5 MPG.
Little weak engines make a bigger difference running around on flats.

Do not be a picky eater.
You are eating for nourishment.

Do not fix anything that is not broken.
Wife wanted new counters in the house when we got it in 1998
Nothing wrong with the original 1974 counters.
She did not get counter tops and that caramel colored fiberglass shower is still working just fine.

The carpet is still in excellent shape because we clean a mess or stain on it as it happens.
If your dog or pet ruins your carpet or trim or doors in the house that dumb animal will no longer be coming in the house.

An animal is a huge expense some like to make them family pets and let them get away with murder.
They are supposed to be useful. Cats eat mice and stay in the barn.
Dogs protect the property.
If it can't do that it needs to go.
Learn to fix things that are broken.
Everything!
That is harsh I know but I see many people get more and more pets of all kinds but can't pay rent.
Fix your mental situation that puts you into that frame of mind.

Everything!
Windows, Doors, cars, pants, socks, blender, sewing machine, toilet, busted pipe under the house,
roofing, fence, concrete, trailer, guns, computer, appliances.

Everything you use you can fix and there is easy to find information out there today that will help you along.
I spent many days at the library and buying books mail order to know how to fix broken things.

You need your health to be able to do these tasks so stay healthy.
350 lb guy is not likely to fit under the house or want to be up on the roof or under the hood of a vehicle sticking his big hand where it does not fit.

Best have a good paying job to be able to pay "TheGuy" if you can't get it all done.
Everything! I don't get how people don't do this now days. Everything has a repair video on youtube. You can find any maintenance manual online. If it is older electronics, you can probably get the parts cheap from china.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under no circumstances take out student loans. For most people, college is a waste of time and money. If you don’t have funds to pay for education up front, find another way. Military service. Hell, McDonalds offers tuition assistance as perk. DO NOT MORTGAGE YOUR FUTURE.
But how do they learn how the world works- according to the elite that is.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on the road for 20 years and eating out does not turn me on, but my wife and daughter think we need to do it some. My answer- use a credit card that pays points, and charge everything, but damn sure pay it off every month without fail. I currently have about a dozen or so gift cards to a number of different restaurants, so when they force me out, I'm covered. Only do this if you are discipline enough to not ever let a card bill go unpaid. Avoid eating even McDonalds- hell that's $10-$12 bucks now days unless you are like me. On the rare occasion I am out and need some lunch, I get a McChicken for $2.50 to go, and drink my refilled bottled water I always have with me. I make it do till dinner. Being cheap, makes it less hard when you have to pay for work, but like some of the early commits, I try to fix a lot of stuff myself. The real deal- being cheap provides me with funds for buying any weapon I desire, when I want to.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well for starters, don't get sick because doctors and pharmacies are expensive places to go! So exercise, eat healthy and avoid stress, especially financial stress!

Don't accumulate possessions. Strive for a minimalist life because at a certain point, you don't own your possessions as much as they own you.

Finally, don't buy a boat because boats are very expensive to feed and maintain! There's a reason Confucious said "Free boat is not free."!

You're welcome! :)
I like the boat comment. The old saying goes the two best days of your life are when you buy and then sell your boat.

There’s also a saying about health costs. Most people work all their life focusing on only making money and working, and not their health. Then when they retire they give all their money to the doctor because of their poor health.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a friend that used to say “watch your pennies and your dollars will find themselves.” Same idea as what you posted. 👍🏻

I told my kids, save your pennies and you will grow dollars.

Oldest was in tech school. Comes in asking for gas money, to run around on a Saturday. I wouldn't give him any.

He decided to clean out his truck. He had a habit of throwing change in the floorboard. Finished cleaning and counted his change. He had $36. Started putting change in a jar and not throwing it in floor.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With another thread about some guy paying 900/month for a truck, interest rates doing the Bidenomics thing, and the whole country in the toilet I thought maybe we could put some of our favorite tips in one spot for the younger crowd that doesn't know about all the traps you can get into when you're heading through your teens, 20s, and 30's.

Get back here if you think of something else too. You might save someone's marriage, as most marriages end over $MONEY$ trouble.

What are your top tips for saving money or making a quick buck? A couple that always come up this time of year for me are:

1. Don't borrow money. If you have to borrow money, have a plan to pay it back within 12 months and put it on paper.
2. Turkeys are CHEAP FOOD. You may get tired of turkey by this time next year, but it's versatile and the cost per pound of meat is hard to beat at Thanksgiving sales. We used to buy 12 turkeys when we were in our early 20s and freeze them. Then we'd have one turkey a month that would feed us for two weeks. I got recipes for DAYS, boys. :chop:

I'm gonna need you to start a separate thread and post a recipe every few days until your cookbook is ready to be published. 😉

Seriously though, I bought several turkeys when they were on sale and now I'm kinda at a loss. I mean I LOVE smoked turkey but there are only 2 of us and I'm afraid there is still gonna be some of those turkeys in the freezer when we pass. 😬😬😂😂😂😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom