Tips to save a dollar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quit buying so many firearms and ammo. I need to be able to get deals and y’all keep swiping them with money you don’t have to impress people who don’t care. 😆

ETA: to save $1 on gas, I frequently drive 10 miles across town to save $.05/gal for a 20 gal tank. There’s a dollar right there…🤪

Last edited:

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quit buying so many firearms and ammo. I need to be able to get deals and y’all keep swiping them with money you don’t have to impress people who don’t care. 😆

ETA: to save $1 on gas, I frequently drive 10 miles across town to save $.05/gal for a 20 gal tank. There’s a dollar right there…🤪
bet you burned a gallon getting there and back...........

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
bet you burned a gallon getting there and back...........

Good, you caught it. I just shake my head when I’m with people that do this. Acting like they’re saving all this money. I’m like, yes, but look how you burned another gal to get there and back, plus wear&tear, plus your TIME!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For the 40yo and younger crowd especially...............

-Plan a menu for the week, and stick to it.
-Go to the grocery store, once a week, or once a month, but pick one. Don't make grocery store stops between your scheduled grocery store stops.
-Gas stations are for gas, not for buying food and snacks, don't.
-Eliminate Starbucks, Sonic, and the Smoothy joints.
-Plan one day a week when you can eat out, if you must, but stick to it.
-Busy parents with 3 kids playing sports? Plan ahead, pack your food, don't Taco Bell, McDonalds, McAlister's 3x a week for a family of 5, that adds up.

There's a hundred other ways to save, but food is THE biggest place to save money for most families, and it just takes a little planning, and a little time to get in the habit of doing it that way. You'll save a ton of money.

I know a family who is actually fairly conservative with their spending but did frequent Sonic and Starbucks pretty often. They went cold turkey and cut out both. They looked back through their spending on their bank website and had no idea how often they were stopping at Sonic and Starbucks and had no idea how much they were spending each month. Family of four, two teens, one driving, one wasn't. Three of them had the Sonic and Starbucks app, makes it so easy to spend money there. They were spending just under $600 a month on Sonic and Starbucks, most of it was on Sonic lol. They'd been doing that for a couple of years almost. 22 months x $580= $12,760...........dang lol.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna need you to start a separate thread and post a recipe every few days until your cookbook is ready to be published. 😉

Seriously though, I bought several turkeys when they were on sale and now I'm kinda at a loss. I mean I LOVE smoked turkey but there are only 2 of us and I'm afraid there is still gonna be some of those turkeys in the freezer when we pass. 😬😬😂😂😂😂
Easiest way for us is to smoke the bird, eat what we want for dinner and 1-2 sandwiches. Then, pull all the meat off the bone and vacuum seal smaller portions. Carcass is good for making stock. We do the same thing with chickens as we don't eat a whole one just being the 2 of us. Alot more cost effective to buy the whole bird instead of just breasts and thighs like we normally do.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ugh😩 I was 12 years old visiting my uncle in Arizona for a quail hunt. He was a depression kid whose wallet squeaked every time he pulled it out. I kid you not as my father’s my witness, we spent 30 minutes wandering up and down the isles looking for “generic” English muffins. “Pop, would you please just give him a quarter so we can leave.”

That’s one thought I’ve been having while reading this thread. Don’t forget your time has value and don’t spend an hour trying to save or make a couple bucks when it could be better spent elsewhere. At my final job I had to sell $800,000.00 a month to break my nut which works out to right around $5000 an hour. Brings perspective when you’re chasing an account that will never buy more than a couple grand a year. Now I certainly made sure they were taken care of, I just couldn’t personally spend the two hours driving there, reviewing the application and creating the BOM let alone ordering samples for proof of concept.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My kids think I'm cheap because I watch for coupons and make sure I get the most for my money. I was raised very poor and that sticks with you all of your life, it's something that one can't shake. I've used that involuntarily at times to acquire a significant savings acocunt that they are not aware of...otherwise, they might want a loan. And that is another way to save money, don't tell your kids how much you have in the bank.

Latest posts

Top Bottom