Tips to save a dollar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids think I'm cheap because I watch for coupons and make sure I get the most for my money. I was raised very poor and that sticks with you all of your life, it's something that one can't shake. I've used that involuntarily at times to acquire a significant savings acocunt that they are not aware of...otherwise, they might want a loan. And that is another way to save money, don't tell your kids how much you have in the bank.

Or your husband. :blush:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never get married. It's cheaper to rent.

That kinda depends. If you "snag" somebody with a good pension those QDRO calculations will make you REALLY happy you put up with all their **** for 10-20 years. 😁

But then it's like the old divorce lawyer says "Why divorce him and l spend half his money when you can stay married and spend ALL of it?" 🤷😁😁🤐

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best raise I ever got, QUIT SMOKING

2 packs / day @ $6 each =$12, $84 / week, $4400 / yr. Put in savings = $44000, invested for 10 years = $88k

Is that cigarette worth $88k? Plus, what will it cost in medical bills?

Last pack I bought was $0.60. Put money in a jar and paid my hunting lease every year. Might not have saved money, but enjoyed it more.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read these posts, thinking what more can I do. I have done many of these things, and I scraped by. Have no debt other than the house payments, which are small and a couple thousand on a credit card.
That will get paid off in a few months or so.
Also, I am reading these posts, happy with my life and what I have,
I am working on this house, at least a 1.3 million dollar house in the country club, and there is a new Ford Raptor in the driveway, the kid is driving an Audi, and there is a $175,000 Van/Winnebago in the driveway. I think to myself, it must be nice to have that kinda money, but it sure is nice not have to shell out that kinda money.
I seriously doubt they have actual money but most likely a lot of debt. A lot of people pretend to be rich and it's a house of cards.
Then there is the scenario where people did the right thing in their working life and enter into the spend down stage of life.
They are sitting on a huge nest egg they and they alone earned from the sweat of their brow.
They lived below their means all their working life, investing and saving for the future while others spent every dime they made on the latest and greatest while they bought nice, but not new.
Those folks reach a plateau where they could never reasonably spend all they had saved
along with investments that turned out spectacular by whatever method they used.
So, what do they do?
They spend on themselves with new homes, great toys, and traveling to see new worlds while making sure the heirs get a little slice of the pie to help them along.
It’s the spend down stage of life. The investment person will be screaming “you have a lot more years to make money!”
Of course, it’s for their benefit, not yours.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best raise I ever got, QUIT SMOKING

2 packs / day @ $6 each =$12, $84 / week, $4400 / yr. Put in savings = $44000, invested for 10 years = $88k

Is that cigarette worth $88k? Plus, what will it cost in medical bills?

Last pack I bought was $0.60. Put money in a jar and paid my hunting lease every year. Might not have saved money, but enjoyed it more.

I've never smoked. Even back in the day when it was cheap. Just never got the hang of it. 🤷 Kinda glad I didn't now. Those lines that old women who smoke a lot tend to get? The ones around their mouths?? Yeah ... Those lines run in my family and I have them bad. I cannot imagine what they would look like if I'd spent all my waking time sucking on a cigarette.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never smoked. Even back in the day when it was cheap. Just never got the hang of it. 🤷 Kinda glad I didn't now. Those lines that old women who smoke a lot tend to get? The ones around their mouths?? Yeah ... Those lines run in my family and I have them bad. I cannot imagine what they would look like if I'd spent all my waking time sucking on a cigarette.
My ex and entire family that died from lung cancer from smoking which I do not, had those lines as well as looking 10 years older than their real age.

Latest posts

Top Bottom