Nobody is buying s**t these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not aimed at your ad, but adding to your post:

Depends on HOW it is presented, many times.

That is SO true. I love looking at ads on Craigslist or elsewhere that say something like: Car for sale

No other info or pictures.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This place has really become a difficult place to buy and sell guns. Traditionally people will put up a gun with a price slightly higher than what they would take with the intention that people will haggle them down. I can’t put my finger on it, but the vibe in here has felt off for the last year or two. I don’t feel comfortable haggling with the people on this website anymore, so I just ignore anything that isn’t priced low already. I have gotten more stuff from armslist recently because I can just use a GV number to send a text and float them an offer and if they get mad at me I don’t ever have to hear from them again.

Speaking for myself only, I figure why waste all the time haggling? Some people get off on on it, I understand that, but honestly I don't have the time. You also have the tire kickers that will just see what they can get out of you. Therefore, price generally is what it is on my ads.

Either way, I don't think OSA is the only true measure of the economy lol.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I come and go here depending on where and what is going on in my life. I have been a member since ? 05-06 maybe. The feel of the forum and classifieds has changed through the years. At one point you could pick up nice used firearms, classics and military surplus, not to mention good deals on ammo and other accessories. Then manufacturers started pumping out new versions of plastic pistols and the AR became affordable which wasn’t a bad thing since we were getting a lot of rifle for the money. The days of grabbing one of the many listed revolvers went the way of the do-do bird when younger enthusiasts , or anyone in general, found wheel guns are fun, collectible, and they hold their value so much better than a (insert favorite or hated plastic pistol).

As to haggling I used to love it but these days not as much, partly due to all the low balling and not ac reasonable offer. I get it, a person wants the most for the least but not everyone seeking a gun is in dire need of the funds, and if they are it is generally priced accordingly. I guess it falls down to the fact in the earlier days of OSA it was more of a community feel with us having swap meets, shoots, and so forth. The owners of the site were also more involved and not just asking for B money and giving a free sticker. In the last several years the “social justice” movement and Covid mishaps brought in many new members into the community, and good or bad it’s almost like a work environment where people seem to stick with those they know.

I also agree that the Armslist, FB, and other avenues helped change the world of firearms sales as much for the individual as the internet did for brick and mortar stores, e have seen what that has done to other markets and industries too. One thing we all have to remember is that this is a free country and nothing says we have to buy or sale, it’s at the discretion of those who are interested in making a deal, or not. It does feel good to complain about it because it means we can still remember the “good times”. The old rule of “ treat others as you would like to be treated-respectfully” applies to everything in life so just use that rule when dealing with others be it in comments, offers, and replies.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not understand why somebody gets mad at a low ball offer. They didn't build the gun, they have nothing invested in the gun but money, yet they take it personal. If you ever see something of mine posted in the classifieds, do not hesitate to make me an offer.I don't get mad.lol
It’s why I won’t sell on here anymore. Not that I ever put much up. Idiots that put in low offers over and over, then pester you because you won’t bother to respond to the 250 dollar offer for a 600 dollar gun. No response is a response :) Or the guys that string you along on offers and renegotiating. I used to post I’ll make low ball offers public.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am guilty of making low offers but that is only because as a buyer I would be crazy to pay someone for example $300 when they are actually willing to accept $250. What I have seen lately in the classifieds is some really dumb high prices. I also understand that as a seller it would be crazy to sell for less than the item is worth. Since we are venting some here it seems like a lot of good deals go to buyers that are just going to flip the item for a profit. If I have bought something from someone on here then odds are that I still own it. But this is not an admission that I have bought firearms. :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I come and go here depending on where and what is going on in my life. I have been a member since ? 05-06 maybe. The feel of the forum and classifieds has changed through the years. At one point you could pick up nice used firearms, classics and military surplus, not to mention good deals on ammo and other accessories. Then manufacturers started pumping out new versions of plastic pistols and the AR became affordable which wasn’t a bad thing since we were getting a lot of rifle for the money. The days of grabbing one of the many listed revolvers went the way of the do-do bird when younger enthusiasts , or anyone in general, found wheel guns are fun, collectible, and they hold their value so much better than a (insert favorite or hated plastic pistol).

As to haggling I used to love it but these days not as much, partly due to all the low balling and not ac reasonable offer. I get it, a person wants the most for the least but not everyone seeking a gun is in dire need of the funds, and if they are it is generally priced accordingly. I guess it falls down to the fact in the earlier days of OSA it was more of a community feel with us having swap meets, shoots, and so forth. The owners of the site were also more involved and not just asking for B money and giving a free sticker. In the last several years the “social justice” movement and Covid mishaps brought in many new members into the community, and good or bad it’s almost like a work environment where people seem to stick with those they know.

I also agree that the Armslist, FB, and other avenues helped change the world of firearms sales as much for the individual as the internet did for brick and mortar stores, e have seen what that has done to other markets and industries too. One thing we all have to remember is that this is a free country and nothing says we have to buy or sale, it’s at the discretion of those who are interested in making a deal, or not. It does feel good to complain about it because it means we can still remember the “good times”. The old rule of “ treat others as you would like to be treated-respectfully” applies to everything in life so just use that rule when dealing with others be it in comments, offers, and replies.

Gonna second the lack of community classifieds that we saw in the past. I'm pretty sure there's some guys just trying to turn things for profit at gun shows or wherever. More power to them, but I'm not gonna drop my price to help them make a few dollars.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading these comments I stand by my statement. There have been plenty of folks on here who have stated that they will be hostile towards people if they make an offer they don’t like. I just ignored those people so I don’t accidentally message them in the future. Easy enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom