Layoffs starting in 2023

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

GM to Lay off About 1,700 Workers at Kansas Plant​

General Motors will lay off 1,695 workers at its Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas, the company said in a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification notice earlier this week.

A GM spokesperson, confirming the layoffs initially reported by Automotive News, said the first of two rounds will begin on Nov. 18, affecting 686 full-time workers temporarily and terminating 250 temporary employees.

Under the second phase, to begin on Jan. 12 of next year, 759 full-time workers will be temporarily laid off, the spokesperson confirmed.

In May, GM said it would pause production of the Cadillac XT4 after January 2025 in Kansas, resulting in layoffs of production employees until manufacturing resumed in late 2025 for both the Bolt EV and XT4 on the same assembly line.

"As previously announced in May, GM is investing approximately $390 million in our Fairfax Assembly Plant to add production of the new Chevrolet Bolt EV," the GM spokesperson said in an emailed statement to Reuters on Saturday.

"To facilitate the installation of new tooling, employees will be placed on a temporary layoff until production resumes in mid-2025," the spokesperson added.

In August, the company also laid off more than 1,000 salaried employees worldwide across its software and service units.

© 2024 Thomson/Reuters. All rights

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

GM to Lay off About 1,700 Workers at Kansas Plant​

General Motors will lay off 1,695 workers at its Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas, the company said in a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification notice earlier this week.

A GM spokesperson, confirming the layoffs initially reported by Automotive News, said the first of two rounds will begin on Nov. 18, affecting 686 full-time workers temporarily and terminating 250 temporary employees.

Under the second phase, to begin on Jan. 12 of next year, 759 full-time workers will be temporarily laid off, the spokesperson confirmed.

In May, GM said it would pause production of the Cadillac XT4 after January 2025 in Kansas, resulting in layoffs of production employees until manufacturing resumed in late 2025 for both the Bolt EV and XT4 on the same assembly line.

"As previously announced in May, GM is investing approximately $390 million in our Fairfax Assembly Plant to add production of the new Chevrolet Bolt EV," the GM spokesperson said in an emailed statement to Reuters on Saturday.

"To facilitate the installation of new tooling, employees will be placed on a temporary layoff until production resumes in mid-2025," the spokesperson added.

In August, the company also laid off more than 1,000 salaried employees worldwide across its software and service units.

© 2024 Thomson/Reuters. All rights
None of those companies point the finger at the Biden Harris administration as a reason for those layoffs. They have actually donated to them while laying middle class people off.
I thought that campaign was the champion of the middle class?

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend Tony took early retirement from the Kansas City GM plant earlier this year. He retired from the Ford plant in Kansas City maybe 10 years ago so he is fine. He is 63 and will get Social Security soon.
I'm glad he's gonna be okay. We, too, will be fine, though this hospital bill will probably cut into Grumpy's gun money a little bit. There are SO. MANY. PEOPLE. out there who will not be okay. I feel for them. Because I used to be on those ranks. It's a hard place to be. Because a man or woman can only work so many hours in a week. And it's hard to further your education when you have a houseful of kids and 2 jobs. Only so many hours in a day ...

Tall

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm glad he's gonna be okay. We, too, will be fine, though this hospital bill will probably cut into Grumpy's gun money a little bit. There are SO. MANY. PEOPLE. out there who will not be okay. I feel for them. Because I used to be on those ranks. It's a hard place to be. Because a man or woman can only work so many hours in a week. And it's hard to further your education when you have a houseful of kids and 2 jobs. Only so many hours in a day ...
Well Generic Motors has inferior management and many of the decisions that they have made are stupid and will result in layoffs. Connect that with stupid policy from the White House and you have to get rid of some folks or sacrifice the entire company.

Latest posts

Top Bottom