Learned something new this evening....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I had no idea.....

Screenshot_20230625_215953_Facebook.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First time hearing about that for me as well. Says it was factory new, but I can't find anything on the internet about a diesel being factory installed. A couple links about a Cummins diesel transplant, but that's all.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a related topic, Mrs. GED is looking for VW Bug. She found one, but it has a diesel engine. I don't know beans about diesels.

I hear they are better as far as gas mileage and they'll run for over 300K miles, but I've also heard they cost twice as much for routine service.

Also, do they make the same clackity, clackity, clackity noise that other diels make? I know to the average redneck or ye-ye, that sounds makes them horny, but it drives me batshit crazy.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In a related topic, Mrs. GED is looking for VW Bug. She found one, but it has a diesel engine. I don't know beans about diesels.

I hear they are better as far as gas mileage and they'll run for over 300K miles, but I've also heard they cost twice as much for routine service.

Also, do they make the same clackity, clackity, clackity noise that other diels make? I know to the average redneck or ye-ye, that sounds makes them horny, but it drives me batshit crazy.
Better fuel mileage, yes most of the time.............iirc a Volkswagon TDI get around 35mpg

Running for 300k greatly depends on regular upkeep. I've owned a 6.9l, 7.3lidi, 7.3lpsd, 6.0l Ford diesels and all had well over 300k without the internals touched, running like new when I sold them. Sold the 6.7l with just over 202k so I can't personally say about that one.

Everything costs twice as much for diesel upkeep......

A Volkswagon TDI doesn't make clackity clackity diesel sounds lol.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

I had a 2002 VW Jetta TDI, same diesel as what's in the Beetle. At around every 80K plan on having the intake manifold removed and cleaned. The crankcase ventilation discharges into the intake manifold and "cokes" up and it has to be scraped out. Alternative is to install a "catch can" where the CV discharges into the can and then periodically you have to empy the can.
Yes it sounds like a diesel but nowhere near as lound a a Gen 1 Cummins B Series.
Also fuel is more expensive than gasoline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom