Learned something new this evening....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I remember when I was around 20 yoa, I was in my redneck stage and I wanted to buy a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. My father told me (just like you guys) that diesels cost about twice as much to service as a gas engine as does parts for 3/4 ton trucks.

He said, "if you're hauling a stock trailer or something, yeah, you might need a 3/4 ton diesel, but all you're hauling is you're ass."

He was right.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a related topic, Mrs. GED is looking for VW Bug. She found one, but it has a diesel engine. I don't know beans about diesels.

I hear they are better as far as gas mileage and they'll run for over 300K miles, but I've also heard they cost twice as much for routine service.

Also, do they make the same clackity, clackity, clackity noise that other diels make? I know to the average redneck or ye-ye, that sounds makes them horny, but it drives me batshit crazy.
It always sounded to me like the pistons were swapping holes when they were idling.

Diesel is expensive too.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can remember even in the late 90's farm diesel was just $.40/gal and road diesel was $.75/gal. IIRC it was 2000 or 2001 before I paid over a dollar for diesel lol, it was always cheaper than gas. The EPA squeezing all the sulfur out of it ruined that forever, as well as the longevity of the engines. What a difference 25y makes. I sold my 6.7l F350 in January and as of yet I've not missed it once.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty cool but I still think I'd rather have the leaning tower of power.
Pretty sure this was built just for you lol

Screenshot_20230627_155128_Facebook.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have the hotrod bug, went through a few cars with some go fast goodies (stroked one, turboed one, nitrous pm another) then thought I wanted an A100 with a stroked big block....then kinda settled down and now just want a nice cruiser. Slant 6, 318....doesn't matter. Just wanna cruise.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED, I‘m a huge fan of the vw diesels! They get 40 to 45 mpg. One of my customers has an 02 Jetta diesel with over 700k! I routinely see them in my shop with over 300k, and usually for a timing belt or brakes. If you have any question, shoot me a pm. I’m a vw shop owner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom