Lease Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is considering leasing his land that he hunts on. His question to me was this: He hunts it pretty much once for turkey, and twice a year for deer, opening weekend of black powder, and the week leading up to Thanksgiving. He asked me if I thought people would be willing to pay to hunt it when he isn't there? So that would leave for deer, all of bow season, remaining black powder, and all but a week of rifle season. For turkey all but a week I believe. Other than that he doesn't hunt that other seasons. Just wanted to get some opinions from the rest of you. I believe his main concern is that he does have a cabin on the land and doesn't want that messed with.

What do you think?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally no I wouldn't lease it, I get all hunting rights when we lease.
But a lot of guys bow hunt only and would go for something like that. It also depends on the size of the land but it should be priced a lot cheeper if done that way.
People get desperate for spots and are willing to do stupid stuff to get one so I know for sure he can find someone willing to go for it. But it's a horrible idea for your friend let other people run around the area he hunts before he hunts it.

srcooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only bow hunt (deer) and would have a hard time leasing the same land that the owner or others would be deer hunting on during black powder or rifle season. Besides the days they are hunting one would expect the rifle/black powder hunter to do his prep work.....meaning move stands, food plots, feeders etc. So the extra traffic would interfere with my bow hunting strategies as I like to let areas rest and of couse hunt with wind considerations.

But with that said there are lots of guys looking for places to hunt and would probably lease this place if the price were adjusted for the seasons/dates that couldn't be hunted.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting a good person to lease it out will put a presence on the land and IMO lessen the chances his cabin will be messed with. If you see a gate that never has tracks going into it and everything is stagnant, trespassers and thieves see that too. Get someone that is in there every weekend, stirring around, that could do nothing but good. Being that he is blacking out those dates that someone can't hunt, he can't expect top dollar. The last thing I would want on my lease is someone telling me when I can't hunt. As long as that is understood from the beginning, someone that can't find anything else to lease may not have a problem with it. Myself... hells no. At least not as my only spot to hunt.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting a good person to lease it out will put a presence on the land and IMO lessen the chances his cabin will be messed with. If you see a gate that never has tracks going into it and everything is stagnant, trespassers and thieves see that too. Get someone that is in there every weekend, stirring around, that could do nothing but good. Being that he is blacking out those dates that someone can't hunt, he can't expect top dollar. The last thing I would want on my lease is someone telling me when I can't hunt. As long as that is understood from the beginning, someone that can't find anything else to lease may not have a problem with it. Myself... hells no. At least not as my only spot to hunt.
Exactly right, exactly right Mr. Chicken said just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom