Legal to practice shooting your bow in the neighborhood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ponca City has an ordinance that allows shooting bows in the back yard, but your home must be the final backstop.
Bales, foam targets, etc can be used, but they must be put up against your house.

Check with your city attorney. They get paid to take your calls, and give an opinion by your taxes.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per the Norman City Code: Sec. 15-502. - Discharging firearms, exceptions.

(a)
Except as otherwise provided, no person shall discharge any firearm, BB gun or air rifle within the City limits.
(b)
Persons excepted from the above subsection are:
(1)
Individuals practicing at an authorized firing range,
(2)
Police and security guards in performance of their duties,
(3)
Persons lawfully defending themselves, their property, or another's person or property,
(4)
Hunters in those areas zoned A-2, so long as the bullet or projectile does not pass or is likely to pass through or fall within a populated area or place of habitation.
(Ord. No. 0-7273-56)
Cross reference- Persons hunting in area referred to in subsection (b) (4) above exempt from prohibition against killing wild birds, § 3-502.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11352&stateId=36&stateName=Oklahoma

A bow isn't considered a firearm due to there not being an explosion causing the release of a projectile.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our neighbor shoots into his back yard all the time. Makes the neighbors a bit uncomfortable but what do you do?? (Go inside til he's done and be grateful when Monday comes and he has to go back to work ...)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Stillwater the law actually says you can practice in your yard but your target has to be against your house....so YOUR house stops the arrow and not your neighbors. There was a big too do about it 20 yrs or so ago when someone shot an arrow through a fence and into their neighbors yard.

ls3mach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old thread and I'm curious. I'm in Cleveland County. I used to shoot my pellet rifle and BB guns in my backyard without issue. I sighted my .22 and .177 there. Then I let the little ones shoot of a little Daisy to teach them and let them practice.
I want to get into bow sports, is it 100% illegal at a park? I have plenty of places, but the drive just to dink around for an hour isn't worth the time spent. I'm just wanting to get outdoors and be left alone. Usually when I skeet a few of us go and we'll spend hours so the drive doesn't matter.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arrows and BBs are mostly illegal to be projectiled in Mustang city limits
Sec. 78-176. - Use of archery equipment.
(a)Except as provided in this section, it is unlawful to use archery equipment for hunting purposes of all wildlife, including, but not limited to, wild or non-domesticated animals, birds, and waterfowl, within the city limits.(b)The use of archery equipment is forbidden within the city limits except as follows:(1)For hunting under the following conditions:a.On 20 acres or more contiguous area zoned agricultural.b.With the permission of the owner of such property.c.Provided no hunting is permitted within 300 feet of any structure.d.Provided no hunting is permitted within 300 feet of any adjacent property line.e.Provided also that all hunting is performed in accordance with state and federal law.f.No hunting shall not be permitted on any public property.(2)For target practice on 20 acres or more contiguous area zoned agricultural under the following provisions and restrictions:a.In accordance with the regulations established for hunting in subsections a. through d. of subsection (1); orb.In accordance with subsection (3) of this section;c.Provided that no arrow may have a tip other than a target point. Use of broadheads or other heads with cutting blades for target practice is prohibited.(3)For target practice on property with less than 20 acres contiguous area under the following provisions and restrictions:a.Arrows must be discharged toward a target backed by an impenetrable, vertical backstop at least eight feet wide and six feet tall directly behind the target butt, and at least 100 feet from the property line of the adjacent property behind the backstop.b.Archery equipment must be used within a confined space. If the area is not fenced, the target area and sidelanes must be conspicuously surrounded with rope or brightly colored tape placed three feet above the ground and placed in such a way as to exclude persons from walking into the path of the arrow.c.No arrow may have a tip other than a target point. Use of broadheads or other heads with cutting blades for target practice is prohibited.d.No child under the age of 14 years may engage in target practice unless supervised by an adult.(4)For instruction, training, target practice and exhibition shooting in nonresidential areas only, under the supervision and sponsorship of a school, business, recreational association, trade association, governmental agency, or archery association. In such instances, subsections b. and d. of subsection (3) shall apply. In addition, a backstop made of at least three-fourths-inch exterior grade plywood eight feet square must be erected 12 to 18 inches behind the target butt.
(Ord. No. 764, § 1, 1-2-2001; Ord. No. 867, § 1, 10-7-2003)

Edit to add....I got suckered in by a decade old thread

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to shoot a five spot in my garage quite a bit when I was using back tension releases at about 3 yards. Great for form n

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This could be interpreted to include arrows.

State law reference— Discharging firearms or air rifles in public places, 21 O.S. 1981, § 1364;
§21-1364. Discharging firearm.
DISCHARGING FIREARM
Every person who willfully discharges any pistol, rifle, shotgun, air-gun or other weapon, or throws any other missile in any public place, or in any place where there is any person to be endangered thereby, although no injury to any person shall ensue, is guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license suspended for a period of six (6) months and shall be subject to an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.
R.L.1910, § 2577. Amended by Laws 1995, c. 272, § 58, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Laws 2012, c. 259, § 45, eff. Nov. 1, 2012.
State law reference— Discharging firearm and throwing missiles in public place prohibited, 21 O.S. § 1364.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're the sumbich.

arrow 1.jpg
arrow 2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom