LEO and open carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daddyof3_101

I support open carry simple for the choice it offers to others. I will most likely never open carry. But it would be nice to have the option to carry on my hip in the winter and just throw a jacket over it. And by the way............Im not an LEO but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of law enforcement on here are against open carry. An overiding theme that seems to be pevasive among those against open carry is the idea that civilans dont have enough training. Here is an interesting segment from the paper I posted a link to above. It seems to debunk that myth!

"Another study examined newspaper reports of gun incidents in Missouri, involving police or civilians. In this study, civilians were successful in wounding, driving off, capturing criminals 83% of the time, compared with a 68% success rate for the police. Civilians intervening in crime were slightly less likely to be wounded than were police. Only 2% of shootings by civilians, but 11% of shootings by police, involved an innocent person mistakenly thought to be a criminal. [145] "

Really? Seem to me that most of them (or at least an equal amount) who've chimed in have expressed concern, but overall support the right itself.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? Seem to me that most of them (or at least an equal amount) who've chimed in have expressed concern, but overall support the right itself.
GTG, the problem is you're using reading comprehension instead of knee jerk reaction over your "God given“ rights. When you use reading comprehension, one cannot reference 27 year old statistics and mention that LEO's average around a 70% hit THIS SHOULD BE MISS RATErate in gunfights.

Granted 70% is outstanding compared to military hit rates. Also, the dynamics of LEO, Mil and CCW gunfights are different, when the CCW actually participates in a gunfight as opposed to a defensive shooting.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted 70% is outstanding compared to military hit rates. Also, they dynamics of LEO, Mil and CCW gunfights are different, when the CCW actually participates in a gunfight as opposed to a defensive shooting.

Actually, it was a 70% miss rate that was mentioned above. Still, I'm not second-guessing law enforcement, as who knows what my hit/miss ratio would be, but just since you were mentioning reading comprehension.... ;)

:P

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, it was a 70% miss rate that was mentioned above. Still, I'm not second-guessing law enforcement, as who knows what my hit/miss ratio would be, but just since you were mentioning reading comprehension.... ;)

:P

LOL touche. The first mention of it should say MISS, and I've boldly edited it to say so. The part you quoted reads as intense though.

Well played sir, well played.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a LEO, but I work for a law enforcement agency. I also support open carry but will continue to carry concealed. Call me paranoid if you wish, but I don't choose to be a target, endangering myself and my family, because I am carrying openly. As for retention, my best defense might be to simply jump on an offending criminal and let my weight starve him of oxygen.

While not singling anyone one out with this comment, there does seem to be an element of bravado with "some" individuals on weapons forums, and that includes ALL the forums on which I participate. Because of that, there are times that I read comments on those forums that lead me to wonder whether "some" individuals even ought to be allowed to own weapons. That is not a reflection of denying them on the basis of gun laws but common sense. In my opinion, "some" lack the maturity that I feel is needed.

Now, I will offer my thanks to those that are LEO's for their service to our state and communities. I especially thank you for offering your opinions on the matter of open carry. It is just too bad that the reading comprehension of "some" participants misconstrues your decision to not carry openly as an open declaration against it.

Now, if I were any more generous, I would offer to honor our LEO's here by buying them coffee....

....and dare I say it, donuts?

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also an LEO and I highly support Open Carry. I have read several articles and stories about armed civilians (both CCW and open carrying) stopping and/or preventing a crime. I also read a report from a news agency, not sure which one at the moment, that interviewed several hardened criminals about their crimes. One question that was asked of them was why they chose the places they robbed. The consistent answer was they were easy targets and didn't have weapons or a means of defense.

This leads me to believe that law abiding citizens who opt to carry openly will probably prevent a large amount of crimes without even knowing it. I understand their will be some who disagree with this, and I accept that. However, I strongly believe that the open carry bill will make an overall good impact on both Oklahoma laws, and Oklahoma communities.

Ok, I'm off the soap box now. Thank you.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us have lived in an open carry state at one time or another. I lived in New Mexico for over four years. Know how many times I saw someone carrying openly? Exactly one time. I just don't see it as a problem.

I was born in N M, and lived there for 38 yrs. I never once saw someone with a gun on their hip. I was accually floored when I bought my first gun and found out I could "strap it to my hip and walk down Central Ave.".

I agree with GED's feelings about the element of surprise. BG's will do anything, anytime, anywhere these days, and I don't want my gun making me the first target if I have my back to the door at QT getting a soda.

Will I open carry? Probably not. But I might use an OWB holster with my shirt covering it.

Oh yeah, I am NOT a LEO, but I respect them very highly for the job they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom