Lets see all the rides!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been out car shopping all week. Its down to an 11' Chevy HHR, an 11' Honda Element, or a 12' Kia Soul!(Exclaim). And weirdly both the HHR and the Element were both discontinued this year, and the Soul is in its 3rd year, 2nd transformation. Will it make my deal better to buy a car that was discontinued but still popular out on the streets? Or go with the Soul which is so popular, at least out in California where I spend alot of time, that Soul moddin car clubs have been poppin up every where. Im doing a cash deal, errr via cashiers check or wire transfer from my bank when we get thru hammerin out a price quote I can live with. I just want to get the most stuff I can get on a car for the best deal. Luckily Im in between picking cars that I can get alot of stuff on em and walk out of the place only 20-25K lighter and not something over 30 or 40k. Damn economy, gas prices, and having to have something that saves me money cause I travel so much between Oklahoma, Iowa and California with my careers has priced me down into the 2.4l engine subcompacts market. Ive never in my life had anything smaller than the 4.3l 6cylinder engines, gonna be weird to be putt'ing around in a golf cart sized car. Making my move by Friday or next Monday, will post pics of my choice.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been out car shopping all week. Its down to an 11' Chevy HHR, an 11' Honda Element, or a 12' Kia Soul!(Exclaim). And weirdly both the HHR and the Element were both discontinued this year, and the Soul is in its 3rd year, 2nd transformation. Will it make my deal better to buy a car that was discontinued but still popular out on the streets? Or go with the Soul which is so popular, at least out in California where I spend alot of time, that Soul moddin car clubs have been poppin up every where. Im doing a cash deal, errr via cashiers check or wire transfer from my bank when we get thru hammerin out a price quote I can live with. I just want to get the most stuff I can get on a car for the best deal. Luckily Im in between picking cars that I can get alot of stuff on em and walk out of the place only 20-25K lighter and not something over 30 or 40k. Damn economy, gas prices, and having to have something that saves me money cause I travel so much between Oklahoma, Iowa and California with my careers has priced me down into the 2.4l engine subcompacts market. Ive never in my life had anything smaller than the 4.3l 6cylinder engines, gonna be weird to be putt'ing around in a golf cart sized car. Making my move by Friday or next Monday, will post pics of my choice.

Just thinking out loud here. One of the consideration I look at real hard when buying a car is safety. I understand you drive A LOT but with so much driving are you safe in such a car out on the highway? I'm thinking head on and side impact collisions. I always give up some MPGs for more protection.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of the three, I'd do the Soul.

I'm a hard core GM guy but I agree with this. The Soul is a good car from what I've read.

I've been considering a new car. My Silverado is is paid off and I need something with good MPGs. I saw a tan Soul on the road a few weeks ago and thought it was sweet looking. So I looked into them. I really cannot afford a new car so it's likely the Silverado will remain my daily driver.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here. One of the consideration I look at real hard when buying a car is safety. I understand you drive A LOT but with so much driving are you safe in such a car out on the highway? I'm thinking head on and side impact collisions. I always give up some MPGs for more protection.
If I choose the Soul it has supposedly rated very high in safety tests. I read at one of the consumer websites where it got high marks for safety due to all of the airbags and the crush-zone type of build of the vehicle. The Scion XD scored really high also.

I know where youre coming from here though. When you get in those cars you just cant imagine them being all that safe. After always having 4x4s and pickups, pretty much ever since I got my license, along with some kind of sports car or hotrod for a toy, the last thing I really ever thought about when buying a truck was safety when I chose a vehicle. I just didnt think it really mattered with the 4x4s and trucks. I got rear ended in my Blazer a few years ago and while it took the whole front of the girls Avalanche out all the damage I got was a broken tailight and a little hicky on my bigassed steel bumper.

I bought a new Nissan Sentra for my wife about 4 years ago. For some reason I had it one day going to go shoot. It was a sedan. Mouse mobile IMO. I was at 71st and Mingo in Tulsa going south on Mingo. We call this area the 'combat zone' because of all the traffic. I had went thru the intersection and before the south bound 2 lane Y'd into one lane I decided I wanted a Bill&Ruths sub in the south east side shopping strip. I stopped, the oncoming traffic coming from the south heading north on Mingo was going from one lane then expanding to two lanes right where I was making a left into the shopping strip. The right hand lane going north stopped for me. I looked and it was clear on the other side, or so I thought, and right when I went to turn east into the shopping center a big SUV was going around the stopped traffic in the left lane into the now expanded 2 lane road. She T-boned me at about 50mph and pushed me into a concrete ditch near the entrance to the shopping strip. The airbags deployed at impact. I managed to open my door and got out, unscratched, a little dazed. Walked around and looked at my car which was obviously totalled. That car saved my life I have no doubt as fast as she was going and at the impact my car absorbed. I didnt have any aches or pains, nothing. Cop came, blahblahblah, the whole wreck scenario. I had witnesses who corroberated that I had yielded for them and then turned in, but, she had had the right-of-way, even though she was speeding. My wife came and I went to the hospital to get checked out regardless of lack of any pains, just a good idea according to my wife. I was all good. Ive been in a bunch of wrecks over the years and almost always was injured a little when the accidents were in cars, especially in total outs like that one. But not a blip in the Nissan wreck. Either I was super lucky or that was a car that was built to take a wreck.

Anyways, ya, I will be looking really hard at safety equipment and the cars safety tests when I choose a vehicle. Subcompacts and compacts have historically never been my first choice in a vehicle for myself, its just time I figure to get something a little more economical even though I really dont mind the extra expense of the cost of gas because ironically I own mineral rights on our properties and a good part of my income is from the sale of oil and gas. Plus being from California I have already experienced paying $4 and close to $5 a gallon for gas living in San Francisco and the bay area.

Luckily though it wont be a total loss if I get something and dont like it- I have 3 daughters who one of them will benefit from a new automobile. Lollll.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the praise and tips.
I'm in the process of accumulating the parts so if you know a source for a decent 440 and trans, let me know.
Also looking for electric window motors for the front or manual window regulators.
And I'll keep you in mind on the pushbutton trans.

Post some pics of your B-bodies. We'd love to see them.
I love the Fury. Great Score.

I own a 1964 Fury and 1965 Satellite.

Back to your Fury. If you decide to put a 440 in it you’ll need a big block transmission, it won’t bolt up to what you have. Sooooo…..To keep the push buttons you’ll have to get a pre-1965 big block push button transmission. 1965 and later big block transmissions will bolt into your car, just won’t have the push buttons. In addition, your car doesn’t have u-joints, it’s a ball and trunion affair, you’ll have to swap that out with the transmission. The rear end has tapered axles; they’re okay until you need to rebuild something in the rear end, then major PITA!

I had to do that stuff to my Fury. New 440 engine, pre-64 transmission with post 65 yoke. Post 1965 rear axle, new drive shaft and u-joints.

Quick and dirty way to get your car going. Built a 360 and drop it in. It’ll bolt right up. If you’ve got some money latch on to a 340 and build it. The 340 is the best production small block ever built. Back in the day the factory 340 would run with the factory 383 all day.

The 318 poly? A very heavy but durable engine. Very limited availability of speed parts. Mine was original to the Fury……..it was sold for scrap.

If you pull the transmission, I’d be interested in buying it.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. That's the direction I'm heading.
Gotta run on pump gas though......
That car deserves a max wedge reproduction engine at least! Get'cha a 440, tear it down. Go buy the edelbrock victor aluminum max wedge reproduction heads and cross-ram intake. Call up Racer Brown (well, the guy that still makes his cams, anyway). Viola! One bad motor scooter.

Eh? Eh? Eh?

Latest posts

Top Bottom