Lever Action Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Rossi 92 in 44mag, and it has feeding issues depending on the profile of the bullet you are attempting to use.

If the ogive of the bullet starts early, such as in the Hornady XTP's, feeding is flawless. If the length from cartridge base to ogive marker exceeds a given length, rounds would just jam into the feeding ramp without room for kick up into battery.

I ended up handloading rounds just for my levering needs.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have a marlin in 44 that is about ten years old. what a fine gun. I also have a rossi in 38/357 mainly for the cost factor. it feeds both well. I also had the browning 92 and it wouldn't feed 38 unless you worked the action slowly. older marlin would be my choice if you can find one in decent shape that isn't 600 bucks!

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at a Rossi today and did not like the safety, it was in an odd place and looked cheap. I did like the new Winchester but at over $1200.00 ouch. However the Henry Big Boy looks ok.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at a Rossi today and did not like the safety, it was in an odd place and looked cheap. I did like the new Winchester but at over $1200.00 ouch. However the Henry Big Boy looks ok.

Stevesgunz.com has a couple of options for you if the safety puts a burr in your saddle.
I ended up putting a set of Skinner peep sights that replaces the original rear leaf, but if I were to to do it again I would probably with Steves aperture. Kill two birds with one stone.

Replace it completely with a peep sight.
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=5
store.stevesgunz.com_images_products_PeepOnRifle.jpg

or just plug it with a button.
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4
[Broken External Image]

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 357 lever for quite some time. Rossi's quality control seems sketchy to me and I'm not sure about the newer Marlins. That leaves Henry and Winchester. The Henrys look nice, but for the price, I would keep an eye out for a used Winchester. Three or four have been listed on Armslist this year. I just didn't have the cash at the time.