Lever Action Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love my Marlins, but beware of the new Remlins. The kiddo just got herself a Henry Big Boy, and that thing is sweet! The only thing I don't like about it is the way you have to load it, no side gate. For a .22 it is fine, but for a center fire it is awkward to me.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remlins is about right. I'm gonna steal that phrase. If I were to buy a new one, it would be a Winchester or a Henry in blue. The brass guns may be pretty, but a little soft. I sold my old Marlin for close to twice what I paid for it.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both my Rossi 44 mags work just fine. Craftsmanship is very good. And they are Stainless. One of them has a 16 inch barrel.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking on the Rossi I like the new Winchester, but you can buy 2 Rossi's for the cost of the Winchester. The Henry is great but I don't like how it loads.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking on the Rossi I like the new Winchester, but you can buy 2 Rossi's for the cost of the Winchester. The Henry is great but I don't like how it loads.

Not a levergun expert but I do have an older Marlin 44 mag that I like. I've been looking for a 357 lever rifle for about 3 years now and have looked just about everything I could find. Those on gunbroker all seem pretty expensive and I usually prefer to handle before I buy. Found a nice used Winchester but it was pricey, then looked at the Rossi and didn't like the safety. Really like the Henry but it's pretty heavy and pricey for a 357. Sports World in Tulsa often has the Marlin on their "sample gun" rack but all of them have looked shoddy with poor wood to metal fit and most of them made in NY.

My search had me convinced that the Rossi is the way to go if I couldn't find a nice older Marlin and replace the safety with with an aperture sight as in the previous post. Then, last week while browsing at SW again there was a Marlin 94c .357 made in CT, JM stamped, beautiful walnut well fit wood. It left with me. They also had one in stainless but I didn't look it over as thoroughly.