Life Sentence for 6.5 gram Crack... Is this Stupid and a Waste of Resources or What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Waste of resources?... probably.

IF this woman could legitimately contribute to society in some way or even at least NOT have anything to do with drugs, she would likely cost us less being on the street than us paying her food, rent, medical, entertainment, etc... bills every month being locked up for life.

I guess for me, when people do deserve to be locked up, I'd like to see them put to use in some way to pay for their own incarceration rather than just being a further drain on the taxpayers. It doesn't have to be a chain gang, but useful employment behind bars could help everyone. Perhaps that would add to their success rate of rehabilitation as well.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saying that the American people will not accept to support the portion of the population that would use drugs if they were legalized and would not be willing to let drug users just die because they cannot take care of themselves.

Sure they would! Loved ones enable drug users all the time, even going as far as to buy their drugs for them. If you haven't seen it first-hand, watch Intervention sometime. I agree that that Americans on the whole wouldn't, but they wouldn't need to.

Also, far more people use drugs (not just cannabis) and act more coherently and blend into society than most people can fathom. Everyone thinks that all druggies are strung out and wild, as those are the only drug users people think they see. In reality, not all of the population using drugs would need support, from anyone.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The war on drugs will never end because it is to no effect (40 years of proving that), It will end when we wake up to understanding that it is a luxury that we just can't afford.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
War on Poverty, war on obesity, war on terror, war on Christmas....

You can't WIN these wars. You're warring against abstract and relative concepts. There will always be a poorest person, a largest person, a person using a "drug" os some other vice, etc...

I guess some people need a mission. Or a job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Waste of resources?... probably.

I guess for me, when people do deserve to be locked up, I'd like to see them put to use in some way to pay for their own incarceration rather than just being a further drain on the taxpayers. It doesn't have to be a chain gang, but useful employment behind bars could help everyone. Perhaps that would add to their success rate of rehabilitation as well.

Only one problem with putting them to work behind bars.
Its called indentured servitude, and is not allowed.

If they want to lay on their lazy butts, they cannot be forced to work for their rehabilitation.
They can however work voluntarily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom