Lifetime Hunting Licenses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing the thread about Alaska got me thinking. I plan on getting my Arkansas lifetime hunting license as soon as I can afford it. It's $1000 dollars, but it's better than spending $75 a year for the rest of my life.

Anyway, one of my biggest excitements about being in the Air Force is discounted hunting licenses. Does anyone know if PCSing and becoming a "resident" of a different state gives you the ability to buy a lifetime hunting license for that state (if they offer one)? And if you leave that state, is your lifetime resident license still good?

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seeing the thread about Alaska got me thinking. I plan on getting my Arkansas lifetime hunting license as soon as I can afford it. It's $1000 dollars, but it's better than spending $75 a year for the rest of my life.

Anyway, one of my biggest excitements about being in the Air Force is discounted hunting licenses. Does anyone know if PCSing and becoming a "resident" of a different state gives you the ability to buy a lifetime hunting license for that state (if they offer one)? And if you leave that state, is your lifetime resident license still good?

Why would you want to buy a lifetime license for a state you will only live in for 3-5 years?

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes, you get to keep it after you leave the state. I have Louisiana and Oklahoma. and yes I still hunt in both states. wish I would have bought a Texas lifetime when I lived there.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PCS orders do not constitute residency change. Or at least it used to not. You still have a "home of record" and that is your residency. Unless you want to pay State income tax in every State you transfer to. As others have said, though, once you establish residency and obtain the license, it is usually good for life, no matter if you move away or not.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like I read or heard somewhere, not sure so don't quote me, that if you buy an Oklahoma lifetime license then move out of state, your license is still valid for fishing but you would have to buy deer and turkey licenses. IIRC you could buy those licenses at resident price but you still had to buy them if you gave up your Oklahoma residency. Maybe I should look that up before I spout off because I'm sure somebody will prove me wrong...

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here, I'll correct myself. From the ODWC website:

A lifetime license holder, whether it be combination, hunting, or fishing, will not lose the benefits of the license by a change of address, even if he or she ceases to be an Oklahoma resident by moving out of the state. If you move, you should report your new address to our office.

link: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/license/lifelist.htm

I stand corrected...by myself!

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PCS orders do not constitute residency change. Or at least it used to not. You still have a "home of record" and that is your residency. Unless you want to pay State income tax in every State you transfer to. As others have said, though, once you establish residency and obtain the license, it is usually good for life, no matter if you move away or not.

this is a true statement. I was living in Louisiana at the end of my active duty career and had intended on staying there. my residency was Louisiana at that time. after retiring from active duty I received a job offer back here in Oklahoma and chose to accept. so you need to be aware that you will need to become a resident of the state you are living in, but yes you can get a lifetime license. be sure to check the state residency requirement, taxes and other things before you decide what to do. Alaska for instance requires 1 year of living there to establish residency for hunting purposes.

Reaction score
I've often wondered which all states have lifetimes, and whether any or some of them allow OUT of staters to purchase a lifetime, even if at a much higher price. I plan to make a detailed chart. I plan to move to Wyo, Utah, Nev, or Idaho someday, and it would be nice to say, live in Nev, but have lifetime (out of state) licences for Cali, Oreg, Idaho, and Utah.

Latest posts

Top Bottom