Lithgow SMLE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked this up earlier today. I love ww2 surplus rifles and this is one that I’ve been wanting for a while. I fired it this evening and it performed well. It does have some cracking issues that I need to address. I think they are totally repairable but it will be visible repairs. Is it worth it to buy new furniture if I can repair this? Should I just leave it alone with the cracks? It’s such a cool rifle. I love the rolling adjuster on the sides. I haven’t had a chance to dig into it but that’s coming.

Attachments

• IMG_4479.jpeg
    IMG_4479.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4477.jpeg
    IMG_4477.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4476.jpeg
    IMG_4476.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

glassparman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a true Milsurp, I would leave it alone unless you plan on shooting it every day and using it in combat. It will be just fine.

I'm a full-blown Milsurp lover as well and I believe the value is in leaving it as found. Unless it is a basket case.

Just my .5 cents worth.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a true Milsurp, I would leave it alone unless you plan on shooting it every day and using it in combat. It will be just fine.

I'm a full-blown Milsurp lover as well and I believe the value is in leaving it as found. Unless it is a basket case.

Just my .5 cents worth.
I am a shooter of my old rifles. This one needs to be repaired but does shoot very nicely. I do t have much use for a rifle that’s too nice or important to shoot.

glassparman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do pop up on fleabay frequently. Just watch out for the "drill" rifles with the red and yellow stripes, many already have repairs.

I did rebuild a junk No4 with NOS stock from a guy on eBay. He had an entire crate full but that was about 10 years ago.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I decided it was time to take the rifle apart and wish I wouldn’t have. The lower wood section crumbled where it meets the rifle. All other pieces are fine. It’s been a puzzle piecing it back together.
It seems my only options to replace it are go for expensive or go to eBay and hope for the best. Broke out the gorilla glue ultimate and some clamps. Gonna see what this does for it. I don’t believe this section bears any of the force. Seems most of it goes straight into the buttstock which is good.
I had hoped I was just going to make a dowel repair here or there. Turns out that’s far from the case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked this up earlier today. I love ww2 surplus rifles and this is one that I’ve been wanting for a while. I fired it this evening and it performed well. It does have some cracking issues that I need to address. I think they are totally repairable but it will be visible repairs. Is it worth it to buy new furniture if I can repair this? Should I just leave it alone with the cracks? It’s such a cool rifle. I love the rolling adjuster on the sides. I haven’t had a chance to dig into it but that’s coming.
Where did you get it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom