Living near a school zone - Questions and Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently had a friend move near an elementary school. As we were discussing it the other day, we were curious what kinds of impact on his 2nd amendment rights.

In regards to "Gun free zones", we came to the assumption a gun free zone could not encroach on his property. Anyone know about this? As in, if his house is located within X ft of the school (I haven't measured the distance from him to the school), does that mean he cannot keep guns in his own house.

Any comments or thoughts welcome, just trying to make sure he's recognized all the angles about living close/in a gun free zone. Any other concerns he should be aware of?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the federal regs he can have whatever he wants inside his home.
A gun free school zone is defined as being within 1000 feet of a school property.
If he is outside of his home with a gun then it must be in a locked container or in a locked compartment in the car or truck. or if he has a license to carry a gun.
Page 11 of the federal firearms regulation reference guide has more specific wording.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, the original GFSZA got torun up by the SCOTUS, but then Congress re-enacted it with some different language, so there's a "new" one that hasn't been formally challenged. Post-Heller, I would think it's a no-brainer that the new and improved GFSZA is also unconstitutional.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only gun free zone I'm familiar with is my shower...

Clean it good right after and chunk the ammo afterward and your good to go.

To the OP I lived in an apartment complex directly across from a school. There were no signs posted. I'm not saying it is not a federal regulation, but really unless you are out causing an issue with it. Probably not something that will be brought up.

I wouldn't open carry in the yard, not saying that I agree with the law, but is it really worth the risk if there is an anti-gun neighbor that wants to push it? Even if you win you will be out alot of cash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom