Lodge Cast Iron at Woot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not thinking sandpaper and an orbital is going to do the trick. I worked on my for like 10 minutes with a grinder and a cup brush which is about 1000x more abrasive than the heaviest-dutiest sandpaper you'll ever find. And it barely made a difference at all. I think I need a better grinder, but I wouldn't waste my time with an orbital and sandpaper. I think you're going to come away frustrated, sadly.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it wasn't too bad using an orbital sander. Very slow. It knocked most of the rough spots off. I figured it was good enough and began re-seasoning it. It definitely felt smoother than before, so I hope it's good enough.

LeatherDoctor

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could try an abrasive disc like a Roloc. I know I can put pretty polished finish on a turbo housing with one. I used it to clean all inside and it did wonders. they have different levels as well. Some will take material if you let it get away.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dammit... my niece washed my cast iron in the dishwasher last night after I went to bed, apparently. <sigh> It's already got rust. Now I get to break out the grinder and cup brush some more and smooth it out a bit more, then wash all the crap out of it - that's the worst part of taking the grinder to it - all the black gunk it leaves behind. Oh well... back to re-seasoning. <sigh>

Think I'll start it out with a couple of pounds of bacon this evening.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it to a machine shop and ask them to bead blast it for you. They'll charge a coupla bucks, but you'll be happy with the results. After you get it seasoned, let all family members know it will be certain death for the next offender.

Latest posts

Top Bottom