Lonesome Dove

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This here chune is performed by James McMurtry, who is the son of Larry McMurtry, the author of the Lonesome Dove series. It may be of interest to folk here because the lyrics mention many iconic Oklahoma locations. It may be of even more interest on this forum because there are mentions of BAR rifles, tracer ammo, SKS rifle, Pop's Knife and Gun Store in Tushka (which isn't really in Tushka), Desert Eagle .50 AE, and other fine points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEJPqJtZsk

Been a favorite for years.
Pretty good knowledge of the area.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jake Spoon: A man that will talk to a pig ain't no better than a farmer.
Gus McCrae: I expected you to own a bank or at least a whorehouse by now Jake. It seems life has been a disappointment to both of us.
Jake Spoon: That might be so, but by God, I ain't never said a word to a pig.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's in my top 5 favorites. Great movie, even better book.
x2, and the books were based on several different unconnected but true historical accounts, most of which are even better stories than Mcmurtry's books.

p.s., Choctaw Bingo is awesome.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"You do more work than you ought to, so it's my obligation to do less."

"That's enough! Aye Gods, that is ENOUGH!"

Did anyone else notice when Gus was trapped behind his horse the sound was wrong between shots fired and bullet kicking up dust. When Gus fired his Henry you'd see the smoke, hear the shot, then see the dust kick up. Since a Henry shoots at very near speed of sound you should see the smoke first, then hear the shot and see bullet impact at about the same time.

I know, I'm a picky SOB!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I liked reading the McMurtry books. Then I found out he wrote Brokeback Mountain and I haven't read another one. I guess it shouldn't bother me but it did.

The only reason that movie was made was to try and get people to accept a lifestyle that many don't agree with and McMurtry helped.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“If you only come face to face with your own mistakes once or twice in your life, it’s bound to be extra painful. I face mine every day ,that way they ain’t usually much worse than a dry shave.” said Gus.

I read a lot of his books. Didn't read Brokeback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom