Long Range Rifle Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are a slew of long range shooting gamesbeing played these days, you didn't mention which one. Each has its own special requirements. National Matches were shot for years with the M1 Garand. Today Long Range Tactical is shot with the .260/.260A.I. or 6.5x47 Lapua at the top of the heap. The rifle you have will provide a decent action, provided you bother to have it 'trued' before rebarreling. Why anyone would re-barrel with a used or take-off Rem. factory barrel is beyond me. With the cost of labor even a barrel from one of the custom makers is the way to go. Use a heavier contour barrel than sporter weight. Using a heavier contour will require some stock work, in other words before putting money into the wood Rem. stock look for a used synthetic of your choice for the amount you want to pay. The best thing you could do, at a reasonable cost, right now, would be to replace the Rem. trigger with an after market one. The Shilen Std. model seems to be the best, at this time, for the price ($100). Optics are not to be over looked. By the best you can afford. Three basic things you could do first are glass bed the action to the stock, replace the trigger, free float the barrel.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to throw my two cents another direction.

Don't buy anything, don't spend a dime on the rifle. Instead, get yourself to an Appleseed class

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php

and get some instruction on how to do what you are trying to do, and check out what they want you to have in the way of a rifle to shoot at distance - sling and coat. They don't let you use a bipod, but unless you are in a competition that prohibits it, the bipod might be of interest to you, too.

I have read about them, but have not yet taken a class. I did get the same training, courtesy of the U.S. Army, once upon a time, and it did change how I went about shooting a rifle.

jej

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you dump money into something figure out if your even gonna like the LR stuff! I know a few guys that were all gung ho about it to figure out wind dopes would drive them crazy so they dropped LR. The 06 is pretty much the same thing as the 308 UNTIL you get over that 180gr. bullet weight so what you have get out there and shoot! you'll figure out if you like it or not and yes a pencil barrel and 3-9 scope will work, it'll heat up and you'll have to give it a rest more so than a heavy barrel but so what if you don't shoot those targets or steel plates they ain't gonna get ya :-)

You will figure out what you need by shooting others stuff and things that make life easier like ranging reticules, bi-pods, stocks that just feel good to you, etc. etc. in the end you can have $7000 tied up in a rifle that shoots lights out but if you can't figure out range and wind dopes what does it matter you ain't gonna hit with it! here's something to think about, shooting long range is simple,hitting at long range is the hard part!

Look up Badlands on the internet, Bobby is down in Grandfield he has out to 1K and can help you out like you'd not believe and will more than likely let ya shoot if you talk nice. Later,

Kirk

Blade

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their replies. There is alot of information on this site and I appreciate all of your responses.

I am new to LR shooting and one of these days, if I really end up liking the LR stuff, I would like to build a rifle from the ground up, but I have found out that I have alot to learn before i take that step!

I think for now I want to leave the action and barrel the way it is. I would like to upgrade to a composite stock with a bipod and definitely get better optics.
QTRMOA, The HS stocks that you are talking about seem to fit my budget pretty well. Since I have the Rem. Mod. 700ADL, is there anything I should consider before buying one? :anyone: I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't wanna order one online and it not fit my gun because of something I overlooked. :hithead:

Ksmirk, Badlands looks like a cool place and it isn't very far away from me. I would like to go through some of his courses oneday!

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a number of stock options for your rifle that wont hurt the bank account too bad, I know of several folks me being one that own the Bell and Carlson stocks I think mine was $215 to the door. Do a search on Remington 700 stocks and get ready to spend some time looking! I believe the place I got my last stock was Stocky Stocks but there are many places and many different prices so shop and you can save some bucks.

I would recommend upgrading your scope the first scope I had for LR was a Bushnell 3200 in 10x40, I used this scope for close to 5 years then upgraded now my brother has the Bushnell and it works as good now as it did and I think you can find them for right around $200 and yes for tactical shooting a straight 10X is plenty out to 1K if you want to punch paper well it's a whole other game! One of the best things you can do to your rifle is a good trigger job! it makes all the difference believe me and others will tell you the same. I don't know if you reload but that would be another thing that would help out with the volume of shooting you will need to do and a custom tuned round to your rifle will make a huge difference.

This is a shot in the dark but I would bet you would think you had bought a new rifle if you get a good stock, glass bed it, a trigger job, and roll your own ammo I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed at the difference and should not set you back a bunch, the reloading equipment for a good RCBS starter kit I would guess $300, if your not against DIY the bedding job you can handle yourself it's not too difficult REALLY! no idea but I'd guess less than $100 on the trigger job but the older Remington triggers are pretty easy just remember to let someone do it if you think your not up for it.

Any questions you might have please feel free to ask! I don't know it all but what I don't know I can probably point you to a person that does know. Good luck! Later,

Oh and Bobby's world will give you a quick idea about LR but be sure you have a little clue before you head down there, if you give him a shout he may let you go shoot on a weekend he has nothing going on.

Kirk

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree on the trigger with most of you guys. You have to learn proper technique first, and you can't do it with a match-grade trigger.

I'd buy 10x40 Bushnell, reloading setup, and spend as much time as you can behind the trigger.

The rifle is capable of shooting 1MOA all factory - getting the load and shooter to do it repeatably will take some time. Then you can improve from there. Just like anything else - your groups will be limited by the weakest link - shooter is it 99% of the time.

cddoeden

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard a lot from both sides... some of you claim technique - some of you claim equipment. I'm going to say you're all mostly right. Long Range shooting is ALL about technique. Its mental. However!! unless your some old retired military sniper, you can't pick up an old .06 and expect to hit a target that's 800 yards away. You have to know how to shoot and, more importantly, you have to know the weapon you are shooting. I'm sure we've all seen the movie Full Metal Jacket..."This is my rifle, this is my gun..." The more time you spend shooting a particular rifle, the further your barrel will reach.
Start simple and get yourself a good target/varmint gun. Remington 700's are popular. Buy an SPS, it will shoot good enough. A .308 or .223, something that won't break your bank in ammo. then get out and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. If you want to enjoy shooting to the moon, you have to put in your dues. You want a barrel that can withstand lots of shots without overheating. You want a caliber you can inexpensively reload. And, you want good optics. You can't see more than 1/4 mile thru a high power scope on a hot OK afternoon.

Invest $500 in a good rifle and another $500 in good glass and $100 in ammo. Shoot it, reload it, shoot it again. Find yourself a prairie dog town and if you're not squealing like a little girl atop the ferris wheel after a year or so, look me up and I'll buy your setup. Otherwise, take your gun out for a polish, true the action, buy a fancy stock, spend as much as your wife will allow and enjoy.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK OK OK I get it Remington rules the house when it comes to bolt action rifle..................LOL

Get a SAVAGE 10 OR 110 trade off the 30-06 and get a .308 Winchester.......great mid to long range round. The Savage Acu-Trigger and the new Acu-Stock are simply the best out there for the money. They are "cheap" compared to the Remington's so you can spend the money on you scope...........get the absolute best one that you can afford. Also if you want a rifle that can reach out there a little further you will want to have target style adjustment turrets. If you are going to shoot at a known distance range then get a duplex style retical but if you plan on shooting at unknown distances then get a mil-dot retical. The glass is very important on a long range rifle. BUT Spending time laying behind the gun is more important than the rifle, optics, stock. Buy good quality ammo and go out and shoot the thing. Keep and reload your brass......and fall into a hobby that is almost as obsessive compulsive as long range shooting...........
CHEERS,
notasniper

Blade

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm keeping my remington. I'm pretty sure that a model 700 30-06 will shoot about as far as I want to.
I have decided to get a synthetic stock with a bi-pod, some good glass, a Lee Loader, and spend as many hours behind the trigger as I can.

Thanks again for all the help. Alot of things have been brought to my attention that I have never really thought about in the past.