Looking for a good knife sharpener

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markuspipus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am on the lookout for a good knife sharpener that I can use on my pocket knives as well as kitchen knives. I have a cheap one that has some sort of white sharpening rods in an X shape that you pull the blade through and it works okay but it isn't the best. Anyone have any good models that are somewhat small and portable? I am not looking for something to put on my grinder.....

Markus

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lansky makes a kit that you can get at Bass Pro, Academy, etc... It's actually pretty nice, but you have to have patience and you cannot get in a hurry or use too much force. Get a throw-away cheap kitchen knife and practice.

In reality, there are several videos out there on sharpening on a stone by hand - that's one of the better ways to go, because once you get that system down, it's pretty easy to sharpen everything with only 1 or 2 stones. I personally prefer DMT's uninterrupted Diamond stones for ultra course and course with a natural medium stone and ceramic fine/ultra fine (and you can get a leather strop block and some strop paste for little touch-ups).

If you really want to get them super-sharp (literally whittling a single strand of hair by pulling it across the edge), then you'll need to invest in some pretty good stones and do some homework on edge-geometry (as well as making a primary bevel and secondary micro-bevel).

I butchured up a bunch of knives back when I first started sharpening, but I learned a lot of good lessons and can touch up an edge pretty regularly without taking off too much metal. I expect all of my knives to last a lifetime of sharpening, so I make the primary bevel where I want it and then mostly just touch up the secondary micro-bevel (or even just srop the secondary).

I've still got my old Lansky (I added the few diamond stones and ceramics to get just what I wanted) that I may end up selling pretty soon (my wicked-edge Pro just shipped, so it should be here in a few days - it is truly one of the baddest sharpening systems made).

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spyderco Sharpmaker makes my knifes nice and sharp, but to be honest I have no idea how it compares to the Lansky or anything else.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker for over a decade. It will sharpen both serrated and plain blades so sharp you must use the two metal rod safety guards and might want to throw on a leather glove as an extra measure. I am not kidding on how sharp this simple system will get your knives in just a few minutes. It comes with a DVD and about a 45 page guide showing you how to sharpen all kinds and types of items from fish hooks, to specialty tools.

CP

http://www.thespydercostore.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpening-Set-p/204mf.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_lxv6fCU3M

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom