Looking for a new pocket knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think so (from a steel-material expense standpoint), but from a strength/edge-retention standpoint, to be honest, as long as the steel has enough Carbon in it to heat treat it to a proper hardness, it will make a good enough blade for a folder (same can be said of a fixed-blade, but to me its more critical to get it right since fixed-blades tend to get used a little more harshly). You probably won't notice too much of a difference in an EDC folder if both blades are made from quality steel by good manufacturers who are using decent heat-treating/tempering.

The real trick is the tempering / cryo / Heat-treating and quality of the steel in the first place.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at any decent knife made from S30V. There are lots of good knife makers out there doing great things with S30V, 154-CM (154-CPM), SR-101, SR-77, etc... (Scrapyard and Swamp Rat are two companies using the SR-77/101 steels with good results).

Check out the Heat Treating section of this page:

http://www.scrapyardknives.com/tech.htm

Its Scrapyard Knife's explanation of how heat-treating / Tempering is one of the most fundamentally important parts of a steel's ability to perform as a knife-blade.

Thanks for the link. Do you have an opinion on the S30V Spyderco Native Looks like a nice slim knife around the same size as the mini grip.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Do you have an opinion on the S30V Spyderco Native Looks like a nice slim knife around the same size as the mini grip.

Not really. I'm not a huge Spyderco fan (I respect the name, but they've never really made a knife that tickled my fancy - just style-wise) for the price.

I'm not really a fan of the fat-blades either, but I have started respecting what the clip-point blade can do after seeing it used in some different situations online (survival type stuff).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to be the biggest fanboy in the world, but this thing is just bad ass (ti / D2 / G10):

Limited Edition:

alh6.ggpht.com__q5KHw4X132A_TODfvl4HmZI_AAAAAAAAAoA__bwpmkV9vgM_s800_RT_1LE_20DP2.jpg

Comes with this tool:

[Broken External Image]

Standard Edition:

alh3.ggpht.com__q5KHw4X132A_TODfwApuQMI_AAAAAAAAAoI_F9O1pEv3QEM_s800_RT_1_2.jpg

Comes with this tool:

[Broken External Image]

Here's the back:

alh3.ggpht.com__q5KHw4X132A_TODfw_ebyLI_AAAAAAAAAoQ_EjDEK5yAuas_s800_RT_1_20back2.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Links, Prices? I like that first one a lot.

That's the first link I posted - its made by ESEE (in a joint effort with Lion Steel and DPX Gear) and its called the DPx H.E.S.T. Folder. Its not out yet and you have to get on a waiting list to get the Limited Edition (the first pic) or you can wait on the production version that should be available at dealers sometime this next week or so (provided there's any left - ESEE fanboys are pretty fierce when it comes to loyalty in buying).

The Limited Edition version is $250 (and there's only 250 of them) - I'm on the waiting list for that one in case one of the original 250 folks who ordered them fails to pay on-time (today is the deadline).

The production version is available here for $175:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=RCHESTFOLDERRH

Here's some info on the project:

http://dpxgear.com/

It is without a doubt, one of the baddest folders I've ever seen and I will own one. I almost spent the money on the Kershaw Tyrade 1805, and I've nearly bought a Zero Tolerance 302 on a couple of occassions, but I've never been able to pull the trigger.

This one is no contest - it will be mine (in some form or another Limited Ed. or Prod model).

Add the ESEE Izula Folder to the list. That thing is sexy.

Yeah, but its not even being made yet - they've got renderings out, but no word of production (though presumably, it will come from the same Lion-Steel / DPx collaboration they've currently got with the HEST folder

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they start making them I'll buy one. The HEST is a little big for my EDC knife needs. I think the Izula folder looks about right.

Yeah - I'll probably get an Izula folder when they come out too - it will probably be priced lower and its size lends itself to a pretty useful EDC knife (plus, D2/ti/G10 makes for a well-put-together package) and ESEE's quality has gone up since they got through their lawsuit crap with Ontario.

Overall, I'm really impressed with ESEE as a company - their waranty and service is awesome too, but they don't (can't is probably a better term) do the no-questions-asked warranty return on the folders, so those will have a slightly different lifetime warranty for only the registered owners.

I think I'm gonna get a regular Izula as well.

You know - as little as I need one, I'm thinking of getting one too.

It sort of pisses me off that Busse won't make scales for the skeleton warden so you can do the same thing you can with the Izula (and Izula II) where you can Neck-carry it minimalist with just the steel (or para-cord) or EDC it with scales in a sheath. I'm thinking of attempting to make my own scales or have someone do it, but in the mean-time, the Izula is a tough little knife that folks are really abusing and it seems to be doing quite well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom