Looking for a new pocket knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spyderco. The Tenacious I recently got is a good EDC knife and runs less than 40 USD if you look. If you want something nicer, there are several below a Benny.

Benchmade also makes great knives. For a fixed blade, look at Bark River's PSK @ about 100 USD.

this is a good choice. The Persistence, Tenacious and Resilience. damn good and solid knives...I have all three and have no compliants

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Yall, I am looking for a new good pocket knife. I don't want to spend more than $100 on it. I usually carry a Gerber or Kershaw. But Gerber's quality seems to have gone to hell. all of the new ones that I have handled feel really cheaply made. Kershaw just doesn't have anything new that I like. So I want to know yalls opinion on what is a good folding pocket knife. I normally beat the hell out of mine. so it needs to be something that will hold up to what I put them through. but needs to cost less than $100.

What do yall suggest?

there is a nice kershaw at academy on walker, it has a tanto tip and G10 grips. priced nice at $29.99!!!! im bout to get me one today

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at a folding Bucklite Max if you go to academy. thumb stud, lockback, pocket clip - point up. USA made. Glass impregnated nylon handle. The only thing that would make it better, imo, is to replace the rivits with screws. I carry a medium one with the 3" blade on occassion

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want an average full size folding knife with a pocket clip. I use my pocket knives for everything. Well almost everythig, not as a prybar or screwdriver. I might clean a deer with it one night, and the next I might cut my burrito.

I dont want one with any fancy designs, I just want a quaility blade that will hold its edge, and have a durible frame. price range in under $100

What kind of blade are you wanting? I used to love exotic different shaped blades and loved serrations, but I've gone back to a simple plain-edge drop-point on most of my preferred pocket and EDC knives (and the thicker blades are not as cool to me anymore either).

Good steel is a must in all the knives I carry now - I've got a few Aus8 knives that I beat the heck out of, but I really appreciate an edge that stays with the knife through heavy use.

I find myself using them in a more utilitarian manner than I used to - I may have convinced myself to get that ESEE (formerly RAT) DPx HEST now - its got a D2 blade, titanium handle and G10 scales and is built like a tank.

Crap, I've got to get back out of knives - its costing me too much :D

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is the D2 version better than the 154CM? They have the latter at Bass Pro for $90. I really like the one I just played with at BP, but want the one with the better blade. It seems as though the D2 is harder to sharpen, but holds an edge longer. I don't sharpen knives. I plain suck at it. So I'm leaning that way now. Just wish they had the OD in at Cabelas. I'd already have it on the way.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is the D2 version better than the 154CM? They have the latter at Bass Pro for $90. I really like the one I just played with at BP, but want the one with the better blade. It seems as though the D2 is harder to sharpen, but holds an edge longer. I don't sharpen knives. I plain suck at it. So I'm leaning that way now. Just wish they had the OD in at Cabelas. I'd already have it on the way.

154CM is good steel for a pocket knife, but very few folks go through the effort to harden/temper it like Bill Coye does (he's a little bit crazy about it but it produces one of the best edges I've ever seen in 154CM), so it has great potential to be frigging super-hard and hold an edge for ever, but in most cases, commercial knives made from 154CM are not put through all of those hardening/tempering/cryo'ing processes. They're still better than AUS8 and most 440 variants, but not as hard as D2.

D2 is what they make hammers and drill-bits out of - its easier for mass manufacturers to get harder and keep an edge with much less effort in hardening/tempering.

I'd say that the D2 version would probably hold its edge longer just like you said, but it is much harder to sharpen without a diamond stone. I usually prefer knives made of D2 over other steels (save a few exotics and obviously INFI).

I will say this - after hanging out on the ESEE section of Blade Forums and doing some reading on field-maintainable knives/machetes, I've got a lot more respect for 1095 and its ability to last while being field sharpened very easily.

Oh, and for anyone getting a semi-nice knife - you should watch some youtube videos on sharpening with an Arkansas stone (and polishing /stropping), its a skill that is well worth its weight in gold.

Practice on a cheap knife at first and/or cheat with a Lansky or Spyderco sharpener if you have to, but learning how to put an edge back on a knife is crucial if you actually use them a lot (no matter what they're made of).

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah ha! A deer/burrito knife! Why didn't you say so???

Get a Kershaw "Ken Onion" design like this;

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_314NZ7Z74QL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Black-Folding-Knife/dp/B0009VC9P4

Nothing goes better with deer/burritos than an onion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom