Looking for leather straps for IWB holster idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to replace the metal clips on my white hat holster with leather straps and see how it works out. I've noticed the clip in the front can dig into my hip when I sit in the car, And I thought straps might be a good solution. The holster allows you to adjust the height of the clips, so I imagine I can screw on a strap in place of each clip, using snaps to secure them. Has anyone done something similar or have any ideas on how best to do this?

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does Tandy Leather do little custom jobs like that or do they have one size fits all pieces in stock? I'd love to be able to swing in and have them stamp a few out that fit like they're made for the holster, but I don't mind doing some DIY work either.

Here's what I'm working with. This is a pic of the clips that come with the holster:
cdn2.bigcommerce.com_server4400_vvv2koi_products_242_images_440cb74cf3ac2e10631de66600ef398a7d.jpg

and the holster as a whole
[Broken External Image]

I'm thinking that the leather strap needs to be a P shape when closed, where the lower part of the P mounts using the holster's screws and the loop of the P reaches around the belt and snaps shut.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can stop into any Attwoods too. I normally just grab tack/leathers off the back wall. Great prices, good leather. Spend an extra $5 on an awl and some sinew and it's a DIY just in time for the weekend

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does Tandy Leather do little custom jobs like that or do they have one size fits all pieces in stock? I'd love to be able to swing in and have them stamp a few out that fit like they're made for the holster, but I don't mind doing some DIY work either.

Here's what I'm working with. This is a pic of the clips that come with the holster:
cdn2.bigcommerce.com_server4400_vvv2koi_products_242_images_440cb74cf3ac2e10631de66600ef398a7d.jpg

and the holster as a whole
[Broken External Image]

I'm thinking that the leather strap needs to be a P shape when closed, where the lower part of the P mounts using the holster's screws and the loop of the P reaches around the belt and snaps shut.

I dont believe that would work...if the holster was IWB...where would you snap it back to the holster.

The leather loops would have to be fastened at the top?
You can buy those ..chicago screws...to fasten it...I believe at hobby lobby?
You can also get the directional snaps, make it easier to work the snaps

https://www.google.com/search?q=don...WkGlJM%2C_&usg=__tfsMVPIlQR7sDULPF-1289XUbLs=

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like Milt sparks straps woudl work, if they're long enough to secure to the holster and still loop into place, but they're talking about a several month backlog. I'd go DIY before waiting that long. That's pretty much what I'm looking for, though.

As far as secuing them to the holster, I planned to use the Chicago screws the metal clips use and the holes up each side. The idea was to punch the strap and secure it to the holster via the screws. The strap ends would both be loose to wrap around the belt and snap together. I'm afraid I may end up with ride height issues, but I don't have access to the holster for a few weeks to look at it in hand. I may look for some nylon strap laying around and cut that up to use as a test bed. DIY from leather would follow if it works. I'm sure I have something laying around I can destroy in the name of science.

Latest posts

Top Bottom