Loose primer pocket.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been swaging primer pockets for quite a while. Mostly to convert berdan to boxer in size. I use an RCBS primer pocket swage die with the stem that goes into the case against the bottom of the inside of the case. instead of using the swager button on the primer pocket, I use a shell holder adaptor that holds a ball bearing. When you press the case against the ball bearing, it swages the outside of the pocket inward. I then use the swaging button to make the pocket the exact right size for which ever boxer primer I am converting it for. (Edit to add size of ball bearing.. Bearing should be at least as large in diameter as the case. Adjust the die in the press so that it just cams over at the end of the stroke to give you maximum leverage..) Some of the berdan cases don't have a thick enough base to deepen the pocket enough for boxer primers. they are a little larger in height than the berdan primers. I now have a supply of berdan primers so I'm not converting them now... That is one way to tighten the primer pocket, but if it has gotten that loose, I'd toss that brass unless it is something really rare. The web area may be expanded enough to give you difficulty chambering it. Blitzfike

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about it unless the spent primers are falling out on ejection and falling onto the other rounds. As long as the primer is in until you close that bolt on it its ok. The bolt face will hold the primer in.

Maybe for shooting single rounds from a bench, but loose primers can come out in a magazine and cause all sorts of problems.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been swaging primer pockets for quite a while. Mostly to convert berdan to boxer in size.
. I've got some 54r that have brass cases, but are berdan primed. Now I know there's no reason to do so right now, seeing that 54r is so readily available right now, but how does one go about turning berdan primers to boxer. Thanks

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with converting 7.62X54 is the large berdan pocket. There is no boxer primer that will fit in the pocket even with swaging the surrounding metal into the pocket. If you find some with the smaller primer pocket, it is possible to use a long center drill and drill out the flash hole through the berdan anvil by drilling from the inside. Some guys I have talked with say they drill out the center of the existing berdan promer, leaving the outside wall of the old primer still in the pocket. They then use a pocket swage to enlarge the opening in the primer to accept a boxer primer. Depending on the size of the old berdan primer, they either use a large pistol or small rifle primer. The large rifle primer is too tall and will extemd past the case head. I haven't done the drilling out of the center of the promer yet, but it is certainly doable... Blitzfike

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Powder Valley and a couple of other suppliers stock berdan primers in two sizes currently. They work OK for the berdan primed 7.62X51 nato type rounds and some of the 7.62X39 stuff, but they don't stock the larger berdan primers I need for 303 british, 7.62X54 and some of the other oddball stuff like 8mm Lebel. As for the RCBS tool, I have broken two of the chisle bits trying to remove berdan primers. If you read the instructions, they tell you not to try to remove crimped in primers.. I've never seen any that weren't crimped in. I use the hydraulic method for removing them. I use a Lee full length sizing die with the decapping pin ground off and a shell holdere with the primer hole drilled out to allow the old primer to exit. You first size the case, then fill it with water to the top, run it in the die again and as you press the expander in the case, the water pushes out the old primer. I use an old RCBS Jr. press for my wet work, since I don't want to expose my better presses to a water bath.. Thats how I do it... Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom