Lower Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I came across a few Magpul parts and have no lower to put them on (OH NO THAT MEAN ILL HAVE TO BUILD ONE HEHE)
I havent done this before and will need help with which parts and brands to buy.

As of now I have a PSR stock, MIAD Grip and a BAD Lever

So I will need a stripped or mostly stripped lower, buffer assembly and LPK.
With all of that said, what brands are good/bad?

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowers are pretty much the same. Assuming they are mil spec and we aren't talking polymer. It comes down to what roll mark you like and are willing to pay for. Thats like asking me if I prefer Nike or Reebok shoes.

The more popular ones will resell better if you ever want to sell your gun.

The lower will not change the function or performance of your rifle. So you can spend $250-$450 on a popular high end, name brand or you can spend $54 on an Anderson lower. I prefer the middle to higher end ones, but only because I like the design of the lowers.

For around $100-$150 you can get a Spikes or Rock River Arms lower, which are readily available and you wouldn't have a problem selling it if you ever felt the need.

If I personally was going to buy a lower today I would go with Seekins. But that is just me.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I am leaning towards a Spikes or RRA
Id like to put it all together for under 200
But having said that a custom engraved one would be AWESOME and not to alter the post but if anyone has the parts I need shoot me a PM

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lowers are pretty much the same. Assuming they are mil spec and we aren't talking polymer. It comes down to what roll mark you like and are willing to pay for. Thats like asking me if I prefer Nike or Reebok shoes.

The more popular ones will resell better if you ever want to sell your gun.

The lower will not change the function or performance of your rifle. So you can spend $250-$450 on a popular high end, name brand or you can spend $54 on an Anderson lower. I prefer the middle to higher end ones, but only because I like the design of the lowers.

For around $100-$150 you can get a Spikes or Rock River Arms lower, which are readily available and you wouldn't have a problem selling it if you ever felt the need.

If I personally was going to buy a lower today I would go with Seekins. But that is just me.

As above.

If you want something sleeker-looking, some of the billet ones are great, much cooler looking, but you're paying for it. I like rollmarks, so I have a number that I've gotten essentially just for that, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've got several Spike's Punishers and Calico Jacks. I don't care for the Zombie and hate the dueling penii. My next will also likely be a billet Seekins sans rollmark. I may have my own etched into it, I don't know.

You can get most of the Spike's lowers online for under $100 (except the Honey Badger, really) if you look around a bit. I know FBT had some in the shop on Friday, and I think they were just over $100. Probably a wash if you consider shipping and transfer fees.

But honestly, if you're not picky, then the Andersons are cheap, very good lowers. I have a bunch with the built-in trigger guard, but you can get them without, as well. I happen to love the Seekins billet guards and have them in a bunch of mine.

So, yeah... aesthetics is a large part of it, as well as brand name bragging rights. I've used a ton of lowers from Spike's, RRA, Mag Tactical, Rise Armament (billets) and Anderson and have fingered a whole lot more and never seen anything functionally that was a problem. The only one that irritated me a hair was the MagTac, but it wasn't a functional issue, just the way the pivot pin tabs stuck out and caused the Troy handguard to scrape on them when the upper was pivoted down.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished a non polymer budget build. If you are patient, Palmetto state has stripped blemished lowers for $49.99 and a DPMS parts kit for $59.99, it'll take a few weeks to get here though. You can get a mil spec size buffer assembly on ebay for $20 shipped.
That's the cheapest route to go and still retain some reliability IMO.
Joebob's would be my next recommendation, they have a wide range of prices on their lowers, lpk's and always ship by the end of the next day.
If you want it now, I'd head up to Sooner State Pawn, you can check online to see what they have in stock. They had complete lowers for $199 not that long ago, just switch out the cheap stock and all that and you'd be done, though that's not nearly as fun!

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the roll mark is the Spider or Calico Jack? And how/who does custom roll marks?
The PSR only fits the A2 buffer and I'd rather have it sooner that later. I dont mind spending $100 on the lower.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you need a hand building it, let me know. I live in Yukon and would be happy to help you out. I just ordered an A2 buffer for $14 shipped. You can find most all of the parts online. Tommy at SSP has some 2Vets lowers for $79.00.

Latest posts

Top Bottom