Lower priced 1911 choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been wanting to pick up a 1911 for a while now and have a few that I am looking into. I originally wanted a commander size pistol and was looking at the Springfield gi champion. I then decided the barrel length didn't matter as much because this will not be a primary carry gun.

Right now I'm looking at a para gi expert ESP for around 570. Springer gi for around 500, STI Spartan for 650 and ria tacticals for 420. I like the sti but really do not want to spend that much as I will want to do a few mods and am trying to build up an ar as well.

What's the consensus on these few guns? I know the ria are pretty good for the money but I have also heard about problems with fitting other 1911 parts, beaver tail etc. The springers are suppose to be more accepting to mods and I haven't heard much about the paras beside the finish being not too tough. I also know the standard para gi comes with no beavertail and a plastic trigger and the ESP model comes with an adjustable match trigger and beavertail.

I am really in the air right now and figured I'd see what the OSA opinion was

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would really look hard at the Rock Island Tactical. I have a few high end customs, now it sticks in my throat to say this $500 gun will do what these high ends will do.So I'm not going too, just check them out. Out of the ones you mentioned I would choose the Rock Island.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would really look hard at the Rock Island Tactical. I have a few high end customs, now it sticks in my throat to say this $500 gun will do what these high ends will do.So I'm not going too, just check them out. Out of the ones you mentioned I would choose the Rock Island.

Boy, I'll bet that hurt..:igetit:

+1 on the RIA. I have had 3, and in that price range it would be a RIA or a Spartan. Run away from the Para. Never had one, but 90% of the owners that I have talked to would not buy again.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to hear. I am looking to possibly trade one of my current pistols for one. I just had been curious about the other models. I've shot a few ria gi's and liked them.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think more parts fit the RIA than a springer. I believe it was hard to find many .220 radius Beavertail parts

I could be wrong.

But if you do get a GI springer. Get the
SS finish!

hot66bug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a high point 1911 that I paid $399 new for and I really like it. I haven't had any problems with it. Shoots great and looks good.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the Taurus 1911, you haters?

I hadn't made it to this thread to put my mention of it in yet. :puppet2:

Actually probbaly wouldn't have said anything but since you had to call someone out.

Yes I have one, yes I like it. I shot the snot out of it when I got it, at about 4000 rounds it beat the guide rod into 2 pieces (stripped the threads out), replaced it with a wilsons rod and moved on. I haven't shot it very much since reorienting to the xd9 platform but I do still carry it, with about 5000 rounds down the pipe it hasn't given me an issue other than the guide rod.

Of course YMMV I hear people with horror stories about their Taurus 1911's

Of course I get lucky like that occasionally, just like my phone the rest of the world screams about the GPS on my phone model yet mine works great.

Avoid Llama, personal experience trust me it's that bad. Personally I would avoid para but thats a peronal opinion with no real solid long term experince.

As a matter of fact if you want to try a Taurus 1911 and have a plasce to shoot and pay for the ammo you may try mine sometime, just give me a PM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom