LS vs gen 1 or BBC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea at the track Friday was not impressed with the buddies truck I drove.
6.2 LS 1986 short bed.
I have some things i will do to it to try and make it quicker.

One of the best runners Friday that was simple was a BBC carbed long bed truck in the 1970 era.
Wife even commented on how well it ran.

I seen this today and must share it.

1717432325104.png

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with an LS. I got me an lq9 and a Holley term x now I just need to find the right host. I planned on putting it in TJ Jeep at first (but it runs fine) than an 99 obs Tahoe (which also runs fine) so I’m lookin for something. What do you plan on doing to your buddies truck to make it faster? Change gearing?
IMG_2054.jpeg

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait...you have an engine, and now you're looking for a project vehicle to put it in???

COOL...!!!
Sorry it’s my first time doing this (car project). My buddy needed some money, that’s how I came across the motor. I’ve always wanted a hot rod, love the way they sound.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with an LS. I got me an lq9 and a Holley term x now I just need to find the right host. I planned on putting it in TJ Jeep at first (but it runs fine) than an 99 obs Tahoe (which also runs fine) so I’m lookin for something. What do you plan on doing to your buddies truck to make it faster? Change gearing?
View attachment 483834

A different buddy of mine got an LQ9 and carbed it and stuck headers on it and 3" exhaust.
Stuck it in a 1977 long bed.
Heavier than my 57 chevy by 380 lbs.

Man it ran well for how simple he made it. TH350 3000 stall and 3.42 gears.
He could not beat me and I kept pulling away from rolls.

So apart it came and trunion rocker upgrade and different cam that was on a 109LSA and I ported his heads and added 3 angle valve job on exhaust and raised the exhaust runners.

Now it ran very well and he stuck an auburn posi unit in it.
Still could not pull away so i loaned him my 800 carb.

That was just enough over the 750 that I began sweating.

Now this other LS with 6.2 needs a higher stall for better launches currently
has a circle D 3000 11 3/4" diameter. And will get a 9 3/4" 4500-4600 circle D pro series.

I will clamp the front 1/2 of the leaf springs and may add anothr spring there or move some of the spring pack forward.

It has slight wheel hop that feels like chatter but does bite pretty good but it needs to bite 100%
Tires are Nitto 555RII 325-50-15 and I may need to find a different one but I think I will leave these for now and see what happens with the 60 foot times first.

It runs best 2.0?? in the 60 foot and I would really like a 1.75 minimum.
With the power it makes it should pull off some 1.6 but it is no lightweight so my hopes are low for just those 2 tweaks.

OH and going to change the thermostat or wire the fans to come on much earlier.
This 195-210 coolant temps and under hood heat soak is killing ET.

It went 13.8 at 210 and 13.5 at 195° ish after a long cool down.
Guy that programed it kept the fans off until 200°.

This is supposed to be a drag truck not a daily driver.
Next up if it is not in the 12's it will get the 3.73 gears removed and 4.56 gears installed and retest.

And if that does not do it then a retune and possibly the low profile (made for corvette) BTR intake will be pulled and something like an LSXR or Sniper intake will be used if the owner is froggy enough.

1 major change at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom