Luftwaffe Gun camera footage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fascinating stuff, but kinda hard to watch. My Grandfather flew a Liberator, hard to imagine how any of them survived.

[video=youtube_share;vfYMtSiFuIc]http://youtu.be/vfYMtSiFuIc[/video]

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father flew 35 missions over Germany as a bombardier in a B17. Those were some brave men that went up in those planes knowing what they would be facing on a mission. Seeing their buddies being blown out of the sky every time they went up.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most interesting footage! Judging from the Luftwaffe models listed in the videos, these were filmed during the latter half of the war. The bombers in the videos also appear to have fallen out of formation, otherwise the German pilots might not have been so bold with their slow-and-steady approach runs, especially with the B-17's. I wonder if the planes being attacked had run out of ammo or had injured gunners?

But you do realize you've poked the sleeping OSA bear, don't you? Were any swastikas or other Nazi markings visible in the videos? :wink2:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bombers in the videos also appear to have fallen out of formation, otherwise the German pilots might not have been so bold with their slow-and-steady approach runs, especially with the B-17's. I wonder if the planes being attacked had run out of ammo or had injured gunners?

Wasn't uncommon for fighters from all of the air forces to single out strays; breaking up bomber formations was the best way to go about shooting them down. It's also how we got kills on their Me262s - our P51s typically lurked around their bases, then attacked the jets as they slowed on approach to land. Very few were ever shot out of the air in a traditional dog fight, despite the bravado you'll hear on the History Channel. If it works, do it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's also how we got kills on their Me262s - our P51s typically lurked around their bases, then attacked the jets as they slowed on approach to land. Very few were ever shot out of the air in a traditional dog fight, despite the bravado you'll hear on the History Channel. If it works, do it.

Not just on landing, but also on take-off as well. The Junkers Jumo turbine jet engines on the Me-262 were so finicky that they required gradual changes in throttle setting to keep from flaming out, hence the inordinately long take-off and approach method. Jagdverband 44, the Germans' ace squadron of jet fighters in late 1944 to 1945, had its own Fw-190 Dora-9 squadron for dedicated airbase air cover during the jets' take-offs and landings, and the 190's were forbidden from pursuing Allied aircraft leaving the area of the airbase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom