M1 Garand Ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an M1 Garand(30-06). Is there new ammo I can shoot threw my rifle other than surplus ammo? Just wondering, wanting to shoot my M1 more often.

thanks before hand on any help.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any 30-06 should be fine in your M-1. It's not cheap.

Do that and you won't have your M1 Garand long. The Garand isn't designed for the newer powders, and you'll either bend or break your op-rod. Same thing applies for heavier bullet weights. The rifle is designed to shoot 150gr to 165gr loadings with military ball powder.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did some internet searching and found the following.

HORNADY’s 30-06 M1 Garand Match Ammunition
Hornady

Hornady’s new, purpose built 30-06 match load specifically designed for the M1 Garand is loaded with a 168 gr A-MAX™ bullet that launches at 2,710 feet per second and provides match winning accuracy. Carefully designed medium burn propellants protect the rifle’s intricate gas port system, allowing safe and accurate firing of the M1 rifle, and meets all Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) guidelines.

The M1 Garand was the first general issue military semi-automatic rifle, and was widely used as a battle rifle from 1936 to 1963. Recently it has gained popularity with sporting and competition shooters, as have the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) John C. Garand rifle matches that only allow the use of the M1 Garand.

Until now, Garand shooters have been limited to military surplus ammunition, handloading, and 30-06 commercial ammunition that is often too powerful for the sensitive gas powered operating system that cycles the action of the M1 Garand. Existing 30-06 ammunition can burn too hot, causing the operating system to be driven harder and faster than intended. This new offering from Hornady is purpose built to provide accurate, safe and ultra reliable functioning for the M1 Garand.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't quite understand when they say the powder burns to Hot. I think they meant too fast. a fast burner like IMR 3031 burns too fast and builds pressure fast which bends the op rod.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American Eagle (Federal)makes 150gr speciffically for M1.1$ or so a rd , thats really too high. look online for Greek HXP 30-06, its great stuff,made for M1.CMP is out of it but more is coming in soon,you can buy it now on gunbroker and other sites, 60-70 cents a rd is about right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom