M1 Garand / M1A / M-14 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here are a few more photos, but the lighting isn't perfect...

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock013E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock009E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock055E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock053E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock048E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock046E.jpg

If you do not mind me asking, any idea what a gun of that quality costs from the CMP prior to the additional stock treatment you did to it. i noticed the cmp listing their mid grade rifles for like 700-800 if i remember correct, but just from a description i cant tell what i would actually be getting....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do not mind me asking, any idea what a gun of that quality costs from the CMP prior to the additional stock treatment you did to it. i noticed the cmp listing their mid grade rifles for like 700-800 if i remember correct, but just from a description i cant tell what i would actually be getting....

That rifle would actually be an excellent example of some of the post-war Service Grade M1's that have been coming out of the CMP the past month or so. People have reported getting unusually nice rifles during visits to the two CMP stores, but you probably would not get one that nice via mail order. The cherry M1's account for probably one out of every 10 or 15 rifles, and this past week, people are reporting that the quality of the Service Grade rifles is going back down to the "usual" nice-but-not-minty level. In that grade, you'd be looking at a rifle with some dents and dings in the stock, possibly missing the cartouches due to sanding, with the metal in various colors and condition. Nothing anywhere near the condition of the rifle pictured above.

If you want one as nice as this rifle, you'll have to order a Correct Grade. Those are $1100, and even then, you may still see a few dents and dings in the stock, and minor marring of the metal finish. Your best bet would be to go to one of the Stores and hand-pick a Service Grade, and clean it up as needed. Or if you can't make the trip, hire someone to do the hand-pick for you.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That rifle would actually be an excellent example of some of the post-war Service Grade M1's that have been coming out of the CMP the past month or so. People have reported getting unusually nice rifles during visits to the two CMP stores, but you probably would not get one that nice via mail order. The cherry M1's account for probably one out of every 10 or 15 rifles, and this past week, people are reporting that the quality is going back down to the "usual" nice-but-not-minty level.

Otherwise, if you want one as nice as this rifle, you'll have to order a Correct Grade. Those are $1100. Your best bet would be to go to one of the Stores and hand-pick a Service Grade, and clean it up as needed. Or if you can't make the trip, hire someone to do the hand-pick for you.

okay that is cool, i was not even aware of them having physical stores you could walk into and buy from, figured they were just a online and mail only thing.

i guess with them not being a normal retailer, they will/can sell firearms to walk ins from out of state? i know we had to turn people away with out of state I.D when i worked the gun bar at academy. but that may just be an academy thing.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
okay that is cool, i was not even aware of them having physical stores you could walk into and buy from, figured they were just a online and mail only thing.

i guess with them not being a normal retailer, they will/can sell firearms to walk ins from out of state? i know we had to turn people away with out of state I.D when i worked the gun bar at academy. but that may just be an academy thing.

You need to go here to join the CMP: http://www.odcmp.com/

Once you've satisfied all the requirements to become a member, you can order parts and ammo from the CMP via their e-store online. If you want to order a rifle, you need to send in a package containing the completed form signed with ink and bearing a notary's stamp (if it's your first order). Once they process the paperwork - it can take anywhere from 30-90 days, depending on their current workload - they will then ship the rifle(s) to you via overnight FedEx. Straight to your door, if you want. The CMP has the best deals around for M1 Garands, aside of any deals you could get from a friend or family member. Unless you get lucky and fleece a poor old unsuspecting widow at a garage sale :P

Go to the bottom of page 9 of this thread, where I've posted pics of two M1 Garands; those would be considered high-end examples of the Service Grade category. Actually, probably in between SG and Correct Grade.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

They don't turn you away, but you don't get to leave with the rifle in your hand either. They ship all of them. But still, you can make a trip and inspect (they will even loan you gages) and pick the exact one you want, pay, do the paperwork and that's what will arrive at your door. I think I'm going to cry when they run out of rifles. CMP has been around so long it seems like a part of "Americana" now. Also their armorers know what they are doing. When you get one from them you can almost make book that it's gonna run, headspace is correct, etc. At a gunshow? Not so much...

Latest posts

Top Bottom