M1 Garand / M1A / M-14 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really have any other decent photos currently. I need to get the rifle outdoors...my flash is really washing out the grain pattern. Here's a couple photos that give you a little better idea of the color and grain pattern. The previous owner applied 10 coats of BLO directly over the stained oil based finish that the CMP puts on their stocks. The stock looked nice but was a drab chocolate brown color when I received it and the lower handguard was lighter than the rest of the wood. I used a light application of Fiebing's medium brown dye to "tone" all of the wood to match. It also gives the stock a nicer looking red undertone. After dying the wood I followed it up with 2 more BLO coats. At some point I will add some Tom's 1/3 wax mix.

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock069E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock068E.jpg

Very nice! Thanks!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on any restoration to the stock? It's a little...homely.

Heck, no. I'm one of those folks who believe in keeping the character and patina of an old stock. I just cleaned it lightly to remove the grime that was coming off on my hands, but that's all I'll do :)

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The stock sounds to have been through the rebuild program at the Augusta Arsenal, Georgia; the "K" was one of a number of code letters used by the arsenal. Is there no DOD "chicken and stars" cartouche on the left side, below the receiver? It'd be interesting to know if there's a letter code and date electro-penciled into the receiver leg on the right-hand side, but that would be visible only if you field-stripped the M1 and removed the barreled receiver from the stock.

The bolt is the typical post-war "65" series production; the B-2-0 is the heat lot code. The barrel again is a "65" series issue, and the date seems to indicate it could well be the original one. If you need a gauge to measure the muzzle erosion and throat wear, I have one.

So far, so good :)

Nothing else stamped on the stock that I can see. Nothing electro-engraved on the receiver leg but it is stamped with F 6528291 and A58. The op-rod is 035382 9 SA. I would be quite interested to see how it measures on the TE and MW gauges so I would take you up on your gracious offer! My very non-scientific M2 ball test has about 3/8" of the projectile showing when inserted into the muzzle.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing else stamped on the stock that I can see. Nothing electro-engraved on the receiver leg but it is stamped with F 6528291 and A58. The op-rod is 035382 9 SA. I would be quite interested to see how it measures on the TE and MW gauges so I would take you up on your gracious offer! My very non-scientific M2 ball test has about 3/8" of the projectile showing when inserted into the muzzle.

The numbers stamped on the receiver leg are the "65" series drawing number of the post-war M1's, along with the heat code. The op rod - are you sure the first character isn't a "D"? That would make the op rod a "dash 9" version, produced during the later part of WW2. Would it happen to be uncut??

PM me after the holidays, and we can get that barrel wear measured. 3/8" showing would suggest fairly low wear.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The numbers stamped on the receiver leg are the "65" series drawing number of the post-war M1's, along with the heat code. The op rod - are you sure the first character isn't a "D"? That would make the op rod a "dash 9" version, produced during the later part of WW2. Would it happen to be uncut??

PM me after the holidays, and we can get that barrel wear measured. 3/8" showing would suggest fairly low wear.

Todd, I checked the op rod again and it is a "D". It doesn't have the large cut recess you showed me in the books but rather a very small valley at the corner. If I had to guess, I'd say it was arsenal-modified after the cracks started showing up. Enjoy your holidays and we can hopefully meet up again afterward.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a couple new photos of my SA with a repro 1907 sling that I picked up from Jim Thompson off of the CMP forums. Only $30 shipped and it's the best quality repro sling that I have run across. The sling is marked RIA 1941. Looks fairly original after applying neatsfoot oil and dying the white stitching brown.

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_GARAND018E2.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_GARAND025E2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom