M1 Garand / M1A / M-14 Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I hope it was informative for some folks, but as Sol said, it can be a bit much if one isn't careful about information overload, a la some of the postings on the CMP forum :wink2:

Not to mention the amount of counterfeit parts/stocks out there. A fella can get burned real easy if he isn't paying attention. Thats enough to throw your hands up and say forget it. One of my Garands is a WRA and I briefly thought about doing what you did, couldn't pull the trigger though....glad you stuck with it, looks good.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to mention the amount of counterfeit parts/stocks out there. A fella can get burned real easy if he isn't paying attention. Thats enough to throw your hands up and say forget it. One of my Garands is a WRA and I briefly thought about doing what you did, couldn't pull the trigger though....glad you stuck with it, looks good.

Indeed. When I first started the project, I was full of vim and vigor and starry-eyed idealism, so the idea of getting scammed wasn't that daunting. Still, after all the time, anguish, verification and more verification, ensuring I was dealing only with sellers with good reputations, and the scandalous sums of money involved, I came away thinking "Never again."

But it was fun nonetheless :)

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I basically have a SA Garand but just have to pay for it and move it from my ex father in law's safe to mine. I don't know much about it other than it's "as delivered" from the CMP. It'll most likely stay as delivered.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally picked up my Garand today. I told my ex-FIL over a year ago that I'd take it and we finalized the deal today. It's a Springfield in the 5399XXX range and was obtained through the CMP around 15 years ago. I've shot it but it was a few years back.

These pics are not great at all but I'll do them again in better light.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT1469.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT1470.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT1471.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_PICT1472.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally picked up my Garand today. I told my ex-FIL over a year ago that I'd take it and we finalized the deal today. It's a Springfield in the 5399XXX range and was obtained through the CMP around 15 years ago. I've shot it but it was a few years back.

These pics are not great at all but I'll do them again in better light.

Is that M1 exactly as it came from the CMP, and what Grade was it? It's got lock bars! :shocked: Those won't be correct for a 5.3M M1, but you couldn't find those lock bars on a rifle in the CMP stores these days unless you were there right as they stocked the racks. Even then, they're fairly uncommon. I'm looking forward to hearing a breakdown of the various parts, along with pics in better light :)

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that M1 exactly as it came from the CMP, and what Grade was it? It's got lock bars! :shocked: Those won't be correct for a 5.3M M1, but you couldn't find those lock bars on a rifle in the CMP stores these days unless you were there right as they stocked the racks. Even then, they're fairly uncommon. I'm looking forward to hearing a breakdown of the various parts, along with pics in better light :)

Yep Todd, it's as delivered from the CMP. I don't have the paperwork in hand on it yet but will be getting it in a few days (I'll be back over there Christmas day). He's also going to round up whatever ammo he has and give it to me. It's that Match stuff I told you about but I don't plan to fire it. I'll pick up some of the Greek stuff from CMP. BTW, the War Baby book and the M1 Garand 1936-1957 book will be here any day now. I'll keep you posted!

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traded off my spare stock set (FG quality post war SA) for a CMP walnut stock to use as a shooter stock. The CMP stock came off of a SG Special HRA. Here's a photo of my 5.8 SA in her new dress...

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_CMPStock028E.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom