Man fought off bear with a hammer!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

"All of a sudden the bear was right there. But it wasn't going for me – it was going for the other guy," said Arnatsiaq.
Arnatsiaq jumped in between the two and shoved a hammer in the bear's mouth.

“What I did was poke the bear with the hammer and put the hammer in its mouth and pull to make him angry so it will go after me instead of going after that guy. Because I knew that guy had bullets in his pocket and that his rifle was not loaded,” said Arnatsiaq.Arnatsiaq said the bear kept going for his friend and swatted Arnatsiaq away. Arnatsiaq grabbed the bear's fur and kept swinging the hammer.

"And then we were fighting for a few minutes and then I missed my footing and almost fell. That's when the bear was going for my shoulder," he said.

The bear bit into his hand which was covering his shoulder. At that point, the other hunters were finally able to shoot the bear and the cubs, which had joined in the fight.

"It could have been worse, I'm fine, I'm ok," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2011/12/22/north-polar-bear-attack-igloolik.html?cmp=rss

Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're man enoung to eat Igunaq then taking on a polar bear with a hammer probably isn't that big of a deal. Those Canadian Inuit are a tough bunch.

Igunaq is an Inuit method of preparing meat, particularly walrus and other marine mammals.
Meat and fat caught in the summer is buried in the ground as huge steaks, which then decompose and ferment over autumn and freeze over winter, ready for consumption the next year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom