Marines order Colt .45s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's on the market now, it's essentially the Colt Rail gun from what I can tell painted, with a lanyard loop.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/19/m45-marsoc-pistol-contract-is-done-deal/

Piggybacking on a few things we previously reported about the winning pistol, we’ve just learned Colt developed a dual recoil system for the CQBP that’s based on the recoil system found in their 10mm models. The modification was made to reduce stresses on the frame and slide and enable the pistol to complete the Corps’ required shooting schedule. The .45 caliber pistol also has a series 80 firing pin safety, is entirely Cerakoted tan and has a lanyard loop and night sights.

Colt tweaked its 01070RG M1911A1 Rail Gun pistol and sent 10 prototypes to Quantico in the fall of 2010, said Greg Rozon, a product development engineering manager at Colt.

The civilian 1911 rail gun usually has a stainless or carbon steel finish and rosewood grips, but Colt’s prototypes for the Corps have a desert-color Cercoat finish, eliminating glare on the weapon and making it less identifiable at a distance. As the name suggests, this model has a section of 1913 Picatinny rail under the barrel to mount accessories such as a light or laser aiming device. They also have more stainless steel internal components to reduce corrosion. They’re equipped with a tritium night sight made by Novak of Parkersburg, W.Va..

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMThunder said:
It's on the market now, it's essentially the Colt Rail gun from what I can tell painted, with a lanyard loop.

Ya, that's my understanding. Cerakote, lanyard, laser etched ID, G10's (?), short trigger, Trijicons, and the dual spring guide rod from the Colt 10mm. The sample they showed at SHOT last year had a long trigger

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What can a high dollar 1911 do that any of the cheaper poly double stacks can't? Seems like they could have ordered twice as many sigs, glocks, what have you for the same price and had a gun that will function in any environment. YMMV

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What can a high dollar 1911 do that any of the cheaper poly double stacks can't? Seems like they could have ordered twice as many sigs, glocks, what have you for the same price and had a gun that will function in any environment. YMMV

Still be good enough to be in service over 100 years later. :D :D

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they should have pick a pistol.that would last more that 1200 rounds without failures. And signle stack. In a more difficult caliber to procure ammo for.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still be good enough to be in service over 100 years later. :D :D

And you think the Glock design won't be? Sure, financially it's minimal in comparison, but it sounds like I was in charge of the purchase (because I'd get something sweet like that for myself if I didnt have to pay for it). Just doesn't sound practical.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And you think the Glock design won't be? Sure, financially it's minimal in comparison, but it sounds like I was in charge of the purchase (because I'd get something sweet like that for myself if I didnt have to pay for it).

I seriously doubt that the Glock will be in service for 100 years. If for no other reason then the geewiz boys will demand the next big thing.

It has been years, but I have personally put many thousands of rounds through an old government issue 1911a1 without failures. Heck we once put 5,000 through an old Argentine copy. You guys also have to remember that military handgun use is different then civilian or police use. It is a last ditch or specialty weapon not their primary arm. A smaller number of rounds is not a real problem if there is sufficient knock down power. Not to mention the steel frame can also be used as a club. :D

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, a proven platform, in a proven caliber, with a rail and night sights....... definately not practical.

I sense butts being hurt by a few here (not singling out you GMT). These are all qualities of many more "practical" handguns. I'm not knocking 1911's. I love mine and I'm not a Glock fan so don't think I'm just a fanboy like many. Insert beretta, Sig, etc... here if you want. I only use Glock as an example since it's the more modern "proven platform" that offers THE (in YOUR opinion) "proven caliber" with a rail and night sights available.... at half the cost to the taxpayers. Do you like paying that??? Please take your 1911 fan stance out of the equation and show me I'm wrong. I'm open to discussion here because that's all it is. I'd rather arm twice the marines with an equally reliable weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom