Marines order Colt .45s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about this.... I'll take my 24,000 marines equipped with Glock 22's (15 rds of .40) against your 12,000 marines with the 1911. While it may be hard to locate the marines with 1911's (due to the finish that keeps them concealed), hopefully we'll eventually find them and prove victorious.
[Broken External Image]

My point was related to the expense of the firearm in relation to the benefit derived from the added expense. If necessary I can whip out a MS Paint illustration.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sense butts being hurt by a few here (not singling out you GMT).

Speaking for myself, it doesn't bother me. These comments are so common they are cliche.

Insert beretta, Sig, etc... here if you want. I only use Glock as an example since it's the more modern "proven platform" that offers THE (in YOUR opinion) "proven caliber" with a rail and night sights available.... at half the cost to the taxpayers. Do you like paying that??? Please take your 1911 fan stance out of the equation and show me I'm wrong. I'm open to discussion here because that's all it is. I'd rather arm twice the marines with an equally reliable weapon.

I'd say the .45 is a pretty proven caliber regardless of opinion, rather it's got a pretty good history no matter what someone needs to tell themselves. Now if taxpayer cost REALLY is your problem then I think you need to pick your battles. $120K to the Marines is a drop in the bucket.

But that, again, would be pointless because Glock and other manufacturers DO have .45's available (with more than an 8 round mag). I only hope that the LOGIC I provide here will grant me favor in your camp when I prove myself the superior logical being.

I would imagine that the obvious comes into play here, that being the Glock 45s are like holding a 2x4 and quite a bit bulky for carry.

How about this.... I'll take my 24,000 marines equipped with Glock 22's (15 rds of .40) against your 12,000 marines with the 1911.

and you'd have more Kbs and significant amount of WML problems..... G17 would be the way to go.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then use the Glock 21 SF. And no one else is reading the weapon is inoperable at 12k rounds for 4/10 test weapons? Not a concern for anyone?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look guys, the Marines wanted a 45 for special use. Why go to yet another type pistol when they already have one that the troops like and are trained to use, have a staff already trained to handle them, have at least some spare parts on hand, and last but not least, I will bet the troops that use them are the ones that asked for them.

As far as inoperable at 12k rounds, no it is not really a worry. In part because of the reasons given above and because I do not now if any other 45s have been tested and proven better.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GMThunder said:
Speaking for myself, it doesn't bother me. These comments are so common they are cliche.

I'd say the .45 is a pretty proven caliber regardless of opinion, rather it's got a pretty good history no matter what someone needs to tell themselves. Now if taxpayer cost REALLY is your problem then I think you need to pick your battles. $120K to the Marines is a drop in the bucket.

I would imagine that the obvious comes into play here, that being the Glock 45s are like holding a 2x4 and quite a bit bulky for carry.

and you'd have more Kbs and significant amount of WML problems..... G17 would be the way to go.

Glock 45 swapped for a G21. Easy issue. Im not going to argue the proven history of .45 because, yet again, thats not the point and it can't really be argued. No more than the .40.

Now onto the financing. 12,000 higher end 1911's and 120k doesn't add up. I'd be a buyer at $10. So maybe at $12 mil you'd be more concerned. Sure they may have purchased them cheaper but you get where this is going.

I'm not familiar with your acronyms so the last argument went over my head. Please clarify.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RickN said:
Look guys, the Marines wanted a 45 for special use. Why go to yet another type pistol when they already have one that the troops like and are trained to use, have a staff already trained to handle them, have at least some spare parts on hand, and last but not least, I will bet the troops that use them are the ones that asked for them.

As far as inoperable at 12k rounds, no it is not really a worry. In part because of the reasons given above and because I do not now if any other 45s have been tested and proven better.

Just seems a bit overkill. That's all I'm saying. Like buying the mayor a Lexus when a Ford would have got him to the meeting just the same at a lessor cost to the taxpayers. It's merely a logical perspective.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Corps is big on tradition. If they'd used old Single Action .45s on Okinawa to knock down Japs and win medals of honor, we'd see Single Actions in the holsters of recon Marines, albeit with light rails and accessory attachment options to make Mossberg's "tactical" .30-30 look tame to John Wayne.

But, they picked it. Get over it, Guy.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just seems a bit overkill. That's all I'm saying. Like buying the mayor a Lexus when a Ford would have got him to the meeting just the same at a lessor cost to the taxpayers. It's merely a logical perspective.

Your "logic" seems to be based solely on cost. So, using your logic we should tell the Marine Corp to purchase Hi-Points.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BrandonMF said:
The Corps is big on tradition. If they'd used old Single Action .45s on Okinawa to knock down Japs and win medals of honor, we'd see Single Actions in the holsters of recon Marines, albeit with light rails and accessory attachment options to make Mossberg's "tactical" .30-30 look tame to John Wayne.

But, they picked it. Get over it, Guy.

LOL. Way to sound like a bigot "Guy". Don't worry, tolerance for our Japanese friends will be learned in the camp.

There's nothing for me to get over as I think we all accept the fact that our govt doesn't exactly make logical decisions much of the time.

BTW your mossberg analogy makes little sense. Please use some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom