Marines order Colt .45s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess the special unit is specializing in fighting against horse mounted units - because that's what 45ACP was designed for.

You can beat your chest and scream murder - but 9mm has been around longer and has been proven 10 or 100 fold over 45.

Wait I forgot - 45ACP fired from 1911 magically acquires energy of 45-70 or greater :P

Screw the polymer guns - what's the logic of switching back to 1911 from M9?

Their list of "must haves" was 45apc, accepts 1911 mags and certain safety features... I love both to be honest. Was in the Army when we did both the A2 conversion and the M9.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does this mean?
9mm Luger was developed a year earlier than 45ACP.
9mm Luger has been adopter by every major military force in the world.
Even when 1911 was copied it never retained the caliber.

You can split hairs on "knock down", "energy" and "caliber" - the rounds-per-mag and rounds-per-pound is very objective.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm Luger was developed a year earlier than 45ACP.
9mm Luger has been adopter by every major military force in the world.
Even when 1911 was copied it never retained the caliber.

You can split hairs on "knock down", "energy" and "caliber" - the rounds-per-mag and rounds-per-pound is very objective.

Except in Argentina, the UK and most other countries. Many of which still keep some in stock for special issue.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except in Argentina, the UK and most other countries. Many of which still keep some in stock for special issue.

UK, Greece, Korea and Bangladesh had/have some hand-me-downs.

Indeed Argentine, Brazil, Norway and China produced 1911 copies in 45ACP - so I do stand corrected ("never" was a big word), but

Brazil stuck with 1911s ... but rechambered in 9mm
Argentine switch to Hi-Power in 9mm
Norway switched to Glock in 9mm
If I'm not mistaken Chinese 1911 in 45ACP were for import only - domestics were chambered in 7.62x25

Latest posts

Top Bottom