Mark Twain’s guns while going out west

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thom

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was reading “Roughing it” and thought with was pretty darn funny

I was armed to the teeth with a pitiful little Smith & Wesson's seven-shooter, which carried a ball like a homoeopathic pill, and it took the whole seven to make a dose for an adult. But I thought it was grand. It appeared to me to be a dangerous weapon. It only had one fault--you could not hit anything with it. One of our "conductors" practiced awhile on a cow with it, and as long as she stood still and behaved herself she was safe; but as soon as she went to moving about, and he got to shooting at other things, she came to grief. The Secretary had a small-sized Colt's revolver strapped around him for protection against the Indians, and to guard against accidents he carried it uncapped. Mr. George Bemis was dismally formidable. George Bemis was our fellow-traveler.

We had never seen him before. He wore in his belt an old original "Allen" revolver, such as irreverent people called a "pepper-box." Simply drawing the trigger back, cocked and fired the pistol. As the trigger came back, the hammer would begin to rise and the barrel to turn over, and presently down would drop the hammer, and away would speed the ball. To aim along the turning barrel and hit the thing aimed at was a feat which was probably never done with an "Allen" in the world. But George's was a reliable weapon, nevertheless, because, as one of the stage-drivers afterward said, "If she didn't get what she went after, she would fetch something else." And so she did. She went after a deuce of spades nailed against a tree, once, and fetched a mule standing about thirty yards to the left of it. Bemis did not want the mule; but the owner came out with a double-barreled shotgun and persuaded him to buy it, anyhow. It was a cheerful weapon--the "Allen." Sometimes all its six barrels would go off at once, and then there was no safe place in all the region round about, but behind it.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for that excerpt. I intend to find the nearest copy which I'm sure is in the library not too far from me.
If you do Kindle Unlimited, it's available free there. There's a Complete Works of Mark Twain book for $0.99 available on Kindle as well. I've got it. Roughing It is included in that one.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s on Audible too.
SWMBO has gotten the Audible files for a couple of the books she has bought, but the cost is far too high for the number of Kindle books we have, most of which are not worth getting the Audible for, frankly. I've been a subscriber to a lot of "free book" sites on and off, and let us just say that not all of them are classics. ;) Twain would be good for that, though!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm old fashioned. I would rather read a book. Besides, did they ever figure out that Kindle thing about not really owning the books you buy and they can shut them off at any time?

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm old fashioned. I would rather read a book. Besides, did they ever figure out that Kindle thing about not really owning the books you buy and they can shut them off at any time?

I carry several thousands of books with me where ever I go. In one moderately sized pocket. Though I do like dead-tree books, too. They're subject to flood damage, insects, fire, and other hazards. The first fall I spent in my house here, I lost 40 cartons of books to flooding. I've got flash drives in metal boxes hoping to protect them from EMP/CME hazards, but even stone wears out and becomes unreadable.

On the Kindle thing, no, apparently not, though I've not lost any books to that problem. IIRC, it was one book, from one publisher. I've only got about 700 books on Kindle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom