May 4th Topwater Hybrids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got in a little topwater action this evening close to the dam at Ft.Cobb lake.
5 fish for a total of 48 pounds. Last hour before sundown.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_May410b.jpg

L-R 9, 9, 15, 8, 7 pound hybrid striper.

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_May410.jpg

15 pound and 9 pound

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I might have to try cobb thurs. Might get with you and get few pointers before then.
HEAVY TACKLE, drag set loose enough to allow some pull. A buddy of mine donated a $10 top water bait on his first hook up. A good sized dip net.

What a bunch of fattys. What was in there belly? Full of shad?
3 of the 5 had eggs. 2 were male. Since successful hybrid spawn is almost non existant, I wasn't too detrimental to the population. Only one had a shad, it was about 7 inches long.

Great fishing trip! They put up a heck of a fight when they get that big. What size line are you using?
I use abu 5500 reels on 7' rods (one is 7.6') Medium Heavy/Heavy action rods allow rod bend, but still stiff enough to set the hooks solid. Line.... I think its 17 pound test STREN. I retie between fish, to make sure there isn't a bad spot from fighting a fish. I monitor my drag to make sure they get line when they need it. For the first couple of minutes, you don't control them, you just hang on, if they come toward you, reel in line like crazy to keep line tight. When the run away, just try and watch that your buddy's line doesn't get in the way. Have you ever played tug of war when the other guy let go of the rope? Yeah that is what its like when one gets off during a good pull, but I managed to stay in the boat.
Ok when are we going???
I think Monday in the OKC FGST topic you said you were too busy or you would take me up on the offer. LOL I didn't go to Texoma, but I did fish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom